• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Getting back into the sport. What radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asuddendeath

Hey all. I am looking to get back into the sport, and would like to have a fair radio to run with.
I have been looking at the Stryker Sr-655HPC with a heavy eye. For the price point it seems to be a wonderful radio.
For around a 100 dollar more I can get the Stryker SR-955HPC but im not sure of the major difference and if its worth it.

It will be run at home. Not sure what antenna I want to run with it yet. Always like to hear from what people have to say.

Thanks

prcguy

The Stryker Sr-655HPC is over $300 and its an AM radio. I think you can get a great performing radio for less than half that then get an amplifier that's twice the power of the Stryker for the same $300. I also think SSB is the way to go because when all the channels get clogged when the skip is in, you can actually make good contacts on SSB.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
The Stryker Sr-655HPC is over $300 and its an AM radio. I think you can get a great performing radio for less than half that then get an amplifier that's twice the power of the Stryker for the same $300. I also think SSB is the way to go because when all the channels get clogged when the skip is in, you can actually make good contacts on SSB.

Places I've been looking have the 655 under $300 and the 955 (SSB) over $300. They have great power out of the box from what I've read, no need to add an amp if you don't have the room for one, or want, especially in a mobile.

I'd already have one but I can't justify spending the little cash I have on one.

prcguy

For a great AM setup on a budget I would get a used Motorola Mocat series, about $35 used, then get a Motorola amplified base mic for the Spectra series and wire it to the Mocat. Then get a 100W amp if you need power, about $100 used. Total cost maybe $175 tops.

The old US made Motorola CBs had great receivers, big internal speakers and excellent transmit audio and they get real loud with the Motorola base mic.
prcguy

Places I've been looking have the 655 under $300 and the 955 (SSB) over $300. They have great power out of the box from what I've read, no need to add an amp if you don't have the room for one, or want, especially in a mobile.

I'd already have one but I can't justify spending the little cash I have on one.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
For a great AM setup on a budget I would get a used Motorola Mocat series, about $35 used, then get a Motorola amplified base mic for the Spectra series and wire it to the Mocat. Then get a 100W amp if you need power, about $100 used. Total cost maybe $175 tops.

The old US made Motorola CBs had great receivers, big internal speakers and excellent transmit audio and they get real loud with the Motorola base mic.
prcguy

Thanks for the response. You "quoted" me on this response so I'll answer with this, that may be a good suggestion for the OP who is looking to get back into the sport. I am not a familiar with the items you list, the OP plans for home use so I'm guessing that equipment would be good there.

I have several radios, a Uniden 520xl Pro, a Cobra 29 lx, a Midland 75-822 and a Magnum 1, hence why I am having a tough time justifying the cost of the Stryker 655 or 955, one of which I may end up owning once I get back to work from my winter lay-off. The OP mentioned looking at the 655 which is why I added the comment you quoted. All of my CB use is either in my work dump truck or my personal vehicle, currently a Jeep, and I am not interested in using an amp or a base at this time.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Hey all. I am looking to get back into the sport, and would like to have a fair radio to run with.
I have been looking at the Stryker Sr-655HPC with a heavy eye. For the price point it seems to be a wonderful radio.
For around a 100 dollar more I can get the Stryker SR-955HPC but im not sure of the major difference and if its worth it.

I would get the 955 for sideband capability. The Strykers have some useless crap like reverb and roger beeps that no self-respecting radio operator should ever use, and unnecessary chrome on the case, but underneath all the lipstick and fishnets and miniskirt you'll find a radio with a heart of gold--a sensitive receiver, good audio in and out (even with the stock mic), frequency stability, and enough power (continuously adjustable between minimum and maximum) that you'll never need a linear. If you buy one, you won't regret it.

asuddendeath

Awesome guys thanks for all the suggestions. I did buy the SR-955HPC. Really wanted the upper and lower Side Band.
Also ordered a I-MAX 2000 with the ground plane kit.

Anybody have a link or suggestion on building a cheap Tower? I was thinking about getting threaded oil and pipeline pipe and thread a couple sections together. Maybe get it 30 or 40 feet up in the air.

davidrfeeney

The uniden line seems to be the nicer looking line these days... get something with SSB

I'm a new CBer. I caught the bug and setup my first CB base in my home office last month. I am not that tech savvy with radios but I used the internet, videos, and got help from groups like this, Facebook CB groups, etc.

I chose a UNIDEN 980SSB radio which was affordable, modern, and offered SSB.

UNIDEN 980SSB Radio & Mic https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARCAT-Sideband-WeatherBand-980SSB/dp/B007B5ZAES/ref=sr_1_3

You can see a photo of my setup and list of gear at https://i.imgur.com/XZwkHZN.jpg

I'm a moderator in this Facebook Group for CBs... very helpful folks.

The Big BREAK - CB Radio Discussion Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/1170486866388007

BloodandRoses

Premium Subscriber
You are going to love the srtyker. I have the 955 hp. One of the best radios I have. I am ssb only the radio will 70 plus watts !!!!! no need for an amp.

asuddendeath

I modified my Stryker last night, talk to a few locals jumped on FM and did some side band as well. Everyone says the radio sounds great. Also got my IMAX 2000 up yesterday. 2 foot stand ten foot pole.

Attachments

• 20180208_164633.jpg
    20180208_164633.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 252

KC3ECJ

I'm a new CBer. I caught the bug and setup my first CB base in my home office last month. I am not that tech savvy with radios but I used the internet, videos, and got help from groups like this, Facebook CB groups, etc.

I chose a UNIDEN 980SSB radio which was affordable, modern, and offered SSB.

UNIDEN 980SSB Radio & Mic https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARCAT-Sideband-WeatherBand-980SSB/dp/B007B5ZAES/ref=sr_1_3

You can see a photo of my setup and list of gear at https://i.imgur.com/XZwkHZN.jpg

I'm a moderator in this Facebook Group for CBs... very helpful folks.

The Big BREAK - CB Radio Discussion Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/1170486866388007

I like the Uniden 980SSB very much. The thing though is on AM I use a Cobra power mic with it. The Cobra mic is pin but not the same as the Uniden adapter, so I had to get one that is meant for using Cobra 4 pins with the 980.

I usually have the radio's internal mic gain all the way up and the Cobra mic dialed up to 6 or 8.

davidrfeeney

I like the Uniden 980SSB very much. The thing though is on AM I use a Cobra power mic with it. The Cobra mic is pin but not the same as the Uniden adapter, so I had to get one that is meant for using Cobra 4 pins with the 980. I usually have the radio's internal mic gain all the way up and the Cobra mic dialed up to 6 or 8.

Could you share the model number of adapter you found that worked?

I am having a similar issue right now with my 980SSB getting a mic to work with the UNIDEN 6pin to 4pin adapter which came new with the radio.

If you could provide a hyperlink to adapter you found that works, that would be super helpful.

David

KC3ECJ

Could you share the model number of adapter you found that worked?

I am having a similar issue right now with my 980SSB getting a mic to work with the UNIDEN 6pin to 4pin adapter which came new with the radio.

If you could provide a hyperlink to adapter you found that works, that would be super helpful.

David

This looks like it may be it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKMAN-C4...418764&hash=item20eb2ba89b:g:k4IAAOSwh1paDGJb

But I got my adapter a couple years ago so I can't say for sure it is the same exact one.

Astrogoth13

If that antenna is a folded dipole, like a Big Stick, you're going to hate it, and so will your neighbors. Get yourself a Super Penetrator and have fun hearing stations twice as far away. Also, you want some quality RG8 coax and NOT RG58 or 8X.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber

prcguy

FWIW I went with a Stryker SR-94HPC.
It's about a quarter the size of the Magnum1 I had in the same spot, get's out pretty good.
Nice little radio with a big punch, but there's a lot to remember as how to operate it.
Only one knob with 6 buttons each of which handle 3 things the radio can do

20180220_151315.jpg

20180220_151304.jpg

20180220_ch_1.jpg

sr-94hpc.jpg

Once I remember all the settings it'll be a good radio..

Status
Not open for further replies.