getting licensed in south carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

can any one give me a link or info on how to get my amateur radio operators license here in south carolina and my state doesnt require it but also were i can get a permit to carry my scanner im also getting ready to go to new york and was told i needed one if i was going to carry it in my car thanks

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A word of warning before you set out, mobile scanners are illegal in New York.

If you wish to become an Amateur Radio operator in order to operate Amateur Radio fine, but just to make a scanner "legal" must be the worst possible reason with EMCOM a close second. A ham rig is not a scanner and a scanner is not a ham radio, the law recognizes the difference and treats them accordingly. The short of it is in states where mobile scanners are illegal you can't listen to PS frequencies on a ham rig either. There is no such thing as "Amateur exempt" in the sense most people think, it's the transceiver's receive capability that's exempt, not it's use. That means whatever you use to receive PS frequencies Amateur license or not you have broken the law, period.

lugoffman

kb2vxa said:
A word of warning before you set out, mobile scanners are illegal in New York.

If you wish to become an Amateur Radio operator in order to operate Amateur Radio fine, but just to make a scanner "legal" must be the worst possible reason with EMCOM a close second. A ham rig is not a scanner and a scanner is not a ham radio, the law recognizes the difference and treats them accordingly. The short of it is in states where mobile scanners are illegal you can't listen to PS frequencies on a ham rig either. There is no such thing as "Amateur exempt" in the sense most people think, it's the transceiver's receive capability that's exempt, not it's use. That means whatever you use to receive PS frequencies Amateur license or not you have broken the law, period.

hey thanks . i was reading were you can get a permit for one in new york how do i go about getting that or can i

n2mdk

lugoffman said:
hey thanks . i was reading were you can get a permit for one in new york how do i go about getting that or can i

You can't they don't issue them.

WA4MJF

Does NY recognize the peaceable journey concept? That is your vehicle is
and contents are legal in the state of registration, you may pass through without
fear of arrest. Most states do that, has something to do with the interstate
commerce clause of the US Consitution where in the states and commonwealths
are to recognize the laws of all the other states and commonwealths.
I can see where the operation would be a non-no, but can't see the
mere possession would be.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sorry, you'll just have to ask Hillary. (;->) I assume and remember I assume as long as you have the scanner locked in the trunk and unaccessible you MIGHT be OK. I've heard some mighty strange laws and interpretations so you might want to question the Office of the State Attorney General.

Here's an application of "posession is two thirds of the law" for you to chew on. Mere possession of illegal CB equipment is a violation whether it's hooked up or connected to nothing and just sitting around. The idea is if you have it you have used it, are using it or intend to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.