Getting the cable from the tower to the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the idea mmckenna - appreciate it. Would definitely not need the ice protections here so that would make making something like that easier.

OK, so that does make it easier.
As for those saying it looks bad, it really depends on how you do it. If you take the half-arsed amateur radio route and just string the cables across any old support, then yeah, it's gonna look like crap.
On the other hand, if you do it properly, put a bit of effort into it, think it out, plan, etc. it won't look any worse than the 60 foot tower.

What matters in the end is what you want. It's your tower, your money, your home, do what you want.

I can tell you that running it underground will not be a fool proof solution. Water will get inside the conduit and unless you are using direct bury rated cable, you will eventually have issues with the cable. I've worked on underground telephone cable plants off and on for over 25 years now and what I can tell you is that they -do- get wet. Skipping the conduit and doing direct bury will create some issues with rock/stone damage, unless you backfill the trench with sand, but that can wash away, especially if a creek bed is involved. Rodents love to chew on the outer jacket. There are "gopher proof" phone cables, but I don't think I've ever seen coaxial cable with that rating.

The benefit with an overhead cable run is that it'll be a lot easier to add more cables as you need to.

If you really need to run it underground, it can be done, but it's not as simple as trenching, putting some conduit in the hole and backfilling. You'd want to use a heavy wall PVC conduit, schedule 80 would have a thicker wall. There's even other types designed more for utility use in direct bury applications. The trench would need to be done properly to prevent pooling of water. You'd want to fill the trench party with sand before adding the conduit, add the conduit, then put in another layer of sand. This helps reduce the chances of rocks damaging the conduit.
In many applications, we completely encase our conduits in concrete for protection. Overkill for what you are doing, but it gives you an idea that simply burying a conduit in the dirt isn't the way to go.
You'll also need to plan ahead. While you may know your needs right now, those needs will probably change. Adding additional cable, or larger cable, might be something you'll need down the road. For that reason, you'd want to have big enough conduit, maybe even 2 or more conduits. The important part is that trenching is the expensive part. Conduit is cheap, so add what you need now while the hole is open. Consider adding one for any future electrical needs. You don't want to run 120vac in the same conduit as coax, besides being an electrical code violation, it's also a good way to induce all kinds of noise issues.
And, like I said above, no matter what you do short of pressurizing the conduit, it's going to get wet inside there. Using cable designed for being in a constantly wet environment, or even submerged, would be a good idea. That's going to take some work as that cable will be more expensive that your average coaxial cable.

Again, it's your decision. There are pro's and con's to each solution and you'd need to look at all of them. It isn't a simple solution either way you choose. While some may have been lucky and gotten away with it, it won't mean you will. It's a lot cheaper to do it right the first time than it is to do it twice.

jim202

Is that tower about to fall over? Why is it leaning so hard?

Maybe because that is a self support tower and the legs do lean into the center of the tower so it get narrower as you go up in height. They have either 3 or 4 legs. That is what the heavy steel bracing is that is coming from the tower leg base.

Ryangn

The benefit with an overhead cable run is that it'll be a lot easier to add more cables as you need to.
Another reason as to why I would like to go overhead.

nmelfi said:
I have dual ortho feeds on my dish so there are four Rg6 runs with two of them having a ground wire and a 16 gauge lamp cord plus a 18 gauge thermostat wire. I have a screw in eye at the eve of the house, a little help from a cedar tree halfway { large tie wraps] and a anchor at my dish. Works fine. They are bundled and attached to the guy wire I got at Tractor supply. I believe it is 14 gauge steel fence wire.
Thanks for that

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
This is what I recommend for getting from the tower to the roof eave. It is similar to what I used for my company's towers in South Texas many years ago:
umjIs.jpg

https://www.sitepro1.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=43

bharvey2

As has been mentioned above, Underground cabling is sometimes a necessity but it comes at a cost. I've done plenty and typically run direct burial cabling inside a conduit. The conduit can be encased ina "one sack slurry" of 1 sack of cement to 1 yd of sand. This prevents the sand from being washed away but allows for fairly easy excavation. The cables will stick get wet and pose a problem in the long run.

The overhead (see the photo of the cable tray in N4GIX's post is common, is available in different sizes and works great when exposure to damage isn't present. There is no reason that you couldn't use it and disguise it in an arch or other architectural design.

prcguy

Cable trays are great, check out post #27 in this thread where I use about 40ft of cable tray indoors to bring coax and hardline overhead from my tower to one operating position. http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...le-setup/36798-antenna-pictures-anyone-2.html

I also use them a lot getting coax and control cables from large satellite dishes to buildings with the cable tray being held about 7ft in the air with large dia galv steel pipe in concrete holding it all up.
prcguy

This is what I recommend for getting from the tower to the roof eave. It is similar to what I used for my company's towers in South Texas many years ago:
umjIs.jpg

Ryangn

N4GIX said:

prcguy said:
I also use them a lot getting coax and control cables from large satellite dishes to buildings with the cable tray being held about 7ft in the air with large dia galv steel pipe in concrete holding it all up.

I really like that idea. Those cable trays would make adding and changing out cables a snap. Thanks for that. Also, prcguy, I must say impressive!!

Cameron314

It's pretty common at commercial sites. In fact, it's very rare to see coax run underground between the equipment shelter and the tower, at least where I am.

At commercial sites they'll build a structure about 8 feet off the ground between the shelter and tower. The coax is supported on that, often with an "ice bridge" over the top. The ice bridge protects the cable if ice falls off the tower.

You could do something similar with steel fence posts, wood fence posts, etc. You likely won't need the ice protection.

Here's an example:
http://www.wirelessestimator.com/wifi/images/uploads/Waveguide_Bridge_3.jpg

Not nearly as common as it used to be. With RRU and fiber/dc to them the days of the large shelter with overhead cable bridges is pretty much gone. LMR hasn't made it there yet but I can't image it's too far off. New sites for cell/wireless/MC end up with outdoor enclosures in which the cables enter in the base from underground and run in increasing smaller conduit to the tower. Tower height/profile is coming why down as well.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not nearly as common as it used to be. With RRU and fiber/dc to them the days of the large shelter with overhead cable bridges is pretty much gone. LMR hasn't made it there yet but I can't image it's too far off. New sites for cell/wireless/MC end up with outdoor enclosures in which the cables enter in the base from underground and run in increasing smaller conduit to the tower. Tower height/profile is coming why down as well.

Absolutely. We've got a few LTE sites at work that the carriers are running. Fiber and power from the network gear up to the RRU. This stuff is getting pretty small.

Big difference from what the OP is doing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.