Gillette PD gone silent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassnote1

Lately I've noticed the Gillette PD is not heard at night on Grilled Cheese's fine 'channel'. Anybody know why this might be? I can hear them during the day, but I only hear the SO and EMS/Fire at night.

I've been investigating getting my own scanner as I've enjoyed his work so much. Thanks for all you do!

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I hear them all the time on my scanner(s) -they have gone to Wyolink full time and usually are using the 800 MHz sites- they will only be heard on VHF if a PD unit is associated with the VHF site. I am not sure how Grilled Cheese is set up -he may not be checking the *00 sites and therefore they would 'drop out' when all their units are associated with the 800 MHz sites.

I have my scanners set to 'roam' so not sure which sites I hear them on.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Just checked and it looks like his feed just monitors the Boxelder Road VHF site so Unless the site is programed to repeat the PD talkgroups you would only hear traffic if a PD unit was associated (actually monitoring or using) that site. If you have your own scanner, you can just set up multiple sites to monitor.

bassnote1

Interesting. I've been hearing them just fine all day on his site, but now that night shift as come on, they've disappeared from the scanner. Like they went to an alternate freq or something. Thanks for the info. I may have to get my own scanner after all.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I was told at a trade show that there is/was (and these guys could be them) that a Wyoming department used VHF portables and 800 in the cars (or the other way around).

As stated, on these systems only the talkgroups that affiate to the sites will be heard on those sites (iregardless of the band used). My guess is that bosses or other users are out of the typical city coverage areas during the day (running around the area, getting coffee... :) dragging the talkgroup to the wide area site) and at night/evening shifts they are staying in the primary coverage area.

That's the most logical conclusion as there is not technical reason for it.

Run one of the trunk tracking software packages on both sites and you can see it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.