Glendale PD Beat Border and Simulcast G Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the beat boundary is for Glendale PD? I see there is a North and South dispatch, and I can pick up South all day long, but have RX'd nothing on any of the North talkgroups. Was just wondering if I am missing something. I can only pick up GPD traffic on Simulcast B, and it's always South dispatch. The other simulcast sites, specifically West Valley I get nothing. White Tanks, So Mountain and even North Mountain provide no traffic for GPD's talkgroups. What am I missing here? Noob to the Uniden BCD536HP, sorry if this is an absurd question.

KB7MIB

Glendale PD is carried on both Simulcasts B and G. I thought both north and south dispatch were on B. Glendale is not carried on any of the IR sites, such as North Mtn or White Tanks.
You may be in a bad spot to receive Simulcast G. Multi-path issues are very common with both the RWC and TOPAZ RWC systems here in the Valley. The newer Uniden models are said to be better at handling these issues than older models and the GRE/Whistler models, but I see you have the 536. Sometimes a directional antenna is needed, and you'll need to experiment with what direction to point it for best reception.
Also, insure that you have the proper frequencies for Simulcast G.

John
Peoria

rwier

Just for kicks, I'm dedicating one HP-1(E) to scanning the Glendale PD. Using 16 TGs, I have ALL (17) Sites open for action. I've set it on Record and Mute. Will let it run a week and see what comes up. I can see almost immediately that Site B is coming in as good as it gets. I'm at I-17 and Greenway, with a rooftop antenna.

Using the analysis features of the HP-1(E) on Site G shows intermittent poor signal strength, extremely low signal quality and no action on Site G. I would NOT expect to hear more than a syllable, or two, from Site G without a drop out.

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
I checked my scanners codeplug, and all the sites and freqs (with correct LCNs) are present. I am near Metro Center on the west side of the 17. I just thought it strange that I was only able to pick up South, and haven't gotten anything on North. A day ago, I took the scanner mobile with me, into Glendale, and for hours, nothing on North Dispatch.

On a side note, does anyone know the physical boundary for the beats? I haven't been able to locate a map, such as Phoenix PD does with their beats.

Last edited:

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
Maybe a bit off topic, but does anyone have a map, or a list beyond what is in the database here, of where the sites are and what can be heard from each site?

For example, Simulcast G just says "West Valley" Clearly that indicates West Valley agencies, but who? Glendale would be one such WV agency, but they are on Simulcast B. Is it time to update the list? I would be willing to make a map or list if someone could provide the details.

Thanks for the help in this investigation regarding Glendale PD, too. Much appreciated.

rwier

Just for kicks, I'm dedicating one HP-1(E) to scanning the Glendale PD. Using 16 TGs, I have ALL (17) Sites open for action. I've set it on Record and Mute. Will let it run a week and see what comes up. I can see almost immediately that Site B is coming in as good as it gets. I'm at I-17 and Greenway, with a rooftop antenna.

Well, a quick check this morning shows about 50 MB of .wav data. A random playing of about 50 files indicates ALL are South Dispatch (4740). I see no way to determine the Site in use. Therefore, I see no reason to continue this particular study.

However, If someone can direct me as to how to run a study/search on 16 TGs/17 Sites that returns not only the TG "hits", but also indicates the Site used for each, I would attempt to follow those instructions. I could use any of my listed scanners and my software library includes Sentinel, EZScan, Win500, and ProScan.

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
Well, a quick check this morning shows about 50 MB of .wav data. A random playing of about 50 files indicates ALL are South Dispatch (4740). I see no way to determine the Site in use. Therefore, I see no reason to continue this particular study.

However, If someone can direct me as to how to run a study/search on 16 TGs/17 Sites that returns not only the TG "hits", but also indicates the Site used for each, I would attempt to follow those instructions. I could use any of my listed scanners and my software library includes Sentinel, EZScan, Win500, and ProScan.

You got the same results I did, I recorded several days of South Dispatch with ProScan. I set up the log to include the frequency and site name (as it's listed on this site's database). All showed Simulcast B as the site. Did the same with the scanner locked on Simulcast G - got zero traffic recorded.

Guess GPD is only using South Dispatch? Next GPD officer I see I'll ask, and I'll ask about the physical boundaries of the beat.

Thanks for the assistance

KB7MIB

There is a beat map in the 10th edition of the Southwest Frequency Directory, from 2009.
The SWFD may still be available at HRO at 43rd and Peoria Aves.

John
Peoria

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
There is a beat map in the 10th edition of the Southwest Frequency Directory, from 2009.
The SWFD may still be available at HRO at 43rd and Peoria Aves.

John
Peoria

Yeah, that's not too far from me, I'll go check it out - thanks!

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
Orangewood Ave is the north/south boundary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at their beat map, it makes sense. I've been reviewing all the audio I had recorded from GPD, and the addresses they've given out on calls are all over the city, so it seems they are only using South as the one dispatch channel. Officer numbers and other indicators seem to correlate with the map I linked above, and with the addresses of calls. Guess North Dispatch is for a backup if needed, of sorts.

Thanks to all who helped in this, I appreciate it!

AZ165

Premium Subscriber
they just may be short dispatchers and have patched both channels together. typically it has always been split.

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
It's been awhile since I've monitored them, but I seem to remember they always had 2, even before joining RWC. I can remember as far back as March of this year hearing nothing on North.

AZ165

Premium Subscriber
I just put GPD on simulcast B. I live in the Surprise area and simulcast G was not working one bit. I'm using a BCD436HP portable. The traffic I am hearing is odd. A hot tone just went out and was broadcast on channel 4 for a north side call but I didn't hear anything else regarding that hot tone. The dispatchers on channel 4 and channel 1 are different so I know they still have the districts sectorized. Not sure why channel 4 is having difficulties coming through on the scanners. Channel 1 is working fine.

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
That was the same problem I was having. Earlier today I was hearing calls for all over the city, farthest north I recall (before I switched back to PhxPD) was 19500 N which is around the Union Hills area, that would certainly be dispatched on North, but it was on South. The audio I recorded over the past few days it was the same, locations were all over the city, and dispatched on South.

Phoenix805

Havent made it to HRO, but I did find an interactive GIS map with the police beats here:

Public Safety Viewer

Interesting map, thanks for the link. I don't know when they restructured their beats, I know North used to be 40 - 47, and South was 30 - 37. Now I see North is 41-44 and 51-54, and South is 21-24 and 31-34.

I don't know why/when they go to one dispatch TG, but the 2009 Southwest Frequency Directory says <quote>South Dispatch and North Dispatch frequently patched <unquote>

KB7MIB

Yea, North and South were frequently patched together, unless it got really busy, such as weekend evenings, and one dispatcher couldn't handle the load. This may be what they've reverted to again. Maybe they're short handed on dispatchers, or they're trying to save some taxpayer monies?
Otherwise, maybe they're experiencing some issues with North. I don't know.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.