Glendale PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

918Dave

Beginning February 6, 2012, Glendale PD will begin encrypting all talkgroups, with the exception of their two main dispatch talkgroups and the majority of the municipal talkgroups. They will also be adding a new talkgroup for all municipal radios in order for them to communicate with GPD dispatch if needed.

It will be disappointing when they move hot traffic such as (major accidents, barricade situations, shootings, etc) to an encrypted channel. Here's hoping that they reconsider those other two talkgroups slated for encryption. <sigh>

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it's a real shame for listeners, but this is how most systems are going....main dispatch in the clear, everything else encrypted.

I hear DPS is going to opensky, so we won't be able to monitor anything on their system in a few years.

But there is still plenty to monitor if you look in the right places.

Astrak

Yeah, it's a real shame for listeners, but this is how most systems are going....main dispatch in the clear, everything else encrypted.

I hear DPS is going to opensky, so we won't be able to monitor anything on their system in a few years.

But there is still plenty to monitor if you look in the right places.

Who told you DPS is going to OpenSky? As far as I know the plan is to have the southern part of the state on P25 and eventually the entire state.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Who told you DPS is going to OpenSky? As far as I know the plan is to have the southern part of the state on P25 and eventually the entire state.

""The New DPS Radio system will be on 700 Mhz which will be IP Based, similar to Open Sky. I would expect to see some activity on purchasing equipment and provisioning within the next 5 years.
Comcell Communications
http://www.comcellcommunications.com""

....sounded like he had inside info....

As far as the CH6 C2C channel going away...I would bet anything it does....every time an agency starts really implementing encryption, the car 2 car stuff always goes away. It's a shame because it is some of the very best stuff...I miss the old channel 10 and channel 11 from Phx PD. I spent time and money building a tower in a large part to get as much of that as I could get back in the day, up until this gawd aful simulcast system came into full use.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
That'd be a bummer when/if GPD goes mostly encrypted. I don't hear them much as it is, but still...

As for DPS going to a system similar to OpenSky...that would really, totally and seriously suck! They're the one agency I can count on for transmissions whether I'm at work or home.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
That'd be a bummer when/if GPD goes mostly encrypted. I don't hear them much as it is, but still...

As for DPS going to a system similar to OpenSky...that would really, totally and seriously suck! They're the one agency I can count on for transmissions whether I'm at work or home.

I am a long time GPD listener so I agree it would stink. They and Scottsdale PD (old system) were still doing most things in the clear until all of this.

Agreed. DPS has a clearer reason than most agencies to be in the clear. Many like myself (I have a one hour commute to and from work each day - all freeway), listen to them to know where traffic problems are. Little of what they do on their main frequencies is ever sensitive information. It actually makes me wonder what radios they use for such stuff.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I am a long time GPD listener so I agree it would stink. They and Scottsdale PD (old system) were still doing most things in the clear until all of this.

Agreed. DPS has a clearer reason than most agencies to be in the clear. Many like myself (I have a one hour commute to and from work each day - all freeway), listen to them to know where traffic problems are. Little of what they do on their main frequencies is ever sensitive information. It actually makes me wonder what radios they use for such stuff.

I think in all the time I've listened to DPS, I've only heard once or twice transmissions that might be better off on an encrypted channel or whatever, but as you said, most of it is fine in the clear. And while I don't take the freeway to and from work daily, I do still listen to DPS to determine if I should or not. Othertimes I walk out of my office building and will just see if the 101 is a parking lot. hahaha. But if the problem is further south and the back-up hasn't reached my area yet, DPS really comes in handy!

rwier

Beginning February 6, 2012, Glendale PD will begin encrypting all talkgroups, with the exception of their two main dispatch talkgroups and the majority of the municipal talkgroups. They will also be adding a new talkgroup for all municipal radios in order for them to communicate with GPD dispatch if needed.

It will be disappointing when they move hot traffic such as (major accidents, barricade situations, shootings, etc) to an encrypted channel. Here's hoping that they reconsider those other two talkgroups slated for encryption. <sigh>

I'm hearing plenty of action on the "events" TG's (all Stadium related) and occasionally on "car to car" (but it's involving dispatch at one end, not really c2c). It seems that all regular everyday citywide PD activity is missing. Maybe the encryption abyss is being populated early?

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
I don't listen to GPD all that much but it stinks if they go encrypted. What ever happened to the "public airways'?

rwier

Follow up: Late night monitoring of the Glendale P25 TRS results in the following hits:

TGID 355 (E ) multiple hits, very active as an (E) channel.
TGID 311 Channel 6 C2C operating as C2C
TGID 305 Channel 3 INFO operating as Dispatch (my view)
TGID 301 Channel 1 South DISPATCH operating as INFO
TGID 316 Channel 6 Alt operating as DISPATCH
TGID 301 Channel 1 South DISPATCH operating as DISPATCH
TGID 353 Avondale PD operating as Avondale PD
TGID 307 Channel 4 North DISPATCH operating as DISPATCH

All strong signals, with no break up, from I-17 & Greenway, ~30 minutes of monitoring.

No biggie, just something to do, lol.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Well, this news sucks. I listen to them all the time. Especially 14/15/16/10A/11A around Westgate and the stadium during games. Several of those channels were active at the Glitter and Glow in downtown this past Saturday as well.

John
Peoria

rwier

Follow-up: Daytime check on Glendale, AZ, Public Safety.

HP-1 (E) reporting 31 channels being watched.
HP-1 (E) and PSR-800 both monitoring the same TG's.
No wild card in operation, therefore (E) channels not getting hits.

301 Dispatch (Dispatch)
321 15 Alt (C2C)
305 3 info (info)

Note: HP-1 (E) reports

Solid 9.5 Strength
Solid 100% Quality
Varying 8 to 10 Activity.

For those not familiar with this radio, these numbers are as good as it gets and will result in clear, strong, UN-BROKEN receptions. 8 to 10 on the Activity scale indicatates nearly constant activity amongst the monitored channels/TG's.

The above limited report covered about 30 minutes with the total reception time adding up to less than one minute. Taken together, this small amount of data indicates to me that probably 95% to 98% of all COG Public Safety transmissions during this time were "hidden".

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited:

AZ165

Premium Subscriber
Rob,

Thank talkgroup IDs you are posting are ones that are currently in use with the old Glendale system, not the new RWC system. These talkgroups are already posted in the database section of this website. I'm not really sure if you are posting anything different than what people already have in their scanners. When GPD transitions in a couple weeks (Feb 6th being the cutover date), talkgroups and frequencies will change then.

rwier

Rob,

Thank talkgroup IDs you are posting are ones that are currently in use with the old Glendale system, not the new RWC system. These talkgroups are already posted in the database section of this website. I'm not really sure if you are posting anything different than what people already have in their scanners. When GPD transitions in a couple weeks (Feb 6th being the cutover date), talkgroups and frequencies will change then.

Didn't have a specific goal. There was talk over the last month about changes coming in the near future. Having occasionally listened to GPD over the years, and remembering it as very active, I thought I noticed (recently) a significant lack of activity. I was just giving some meaningless "real" observations of the same.

Now, based upon your above, I am a little confused. Are you indicating that the "silent" or "missing" transmissions (that I am imagining/assuming), are actually "readable" now, under another System (RWC)? I'll be checking the RRDB immediately.

Either way, I'll not clutter the Forum with additional musings on this subject.

Thanks,
Rob

AZ165

Premium Subscriber
Hi Rob,

My apologies... I didn't realize you were posting "silent" readings. However, the talkgroups that you posted should not currently be encrypted, so any silent readings you're getting may just be someone (officer or dispatcher) "mic breaking" and activating the repeater... just my guess. I will try and keep everyone posted on the updates with the new system.

Next week they start the transition for the Feb 6th cut over. For Glendale, their main talk channels will be on their B Deck. Their old A deck will remain in place for interoperability during stadium and arena events, along with G, H, and L decks. The only available channels the public will be able to hear, as we all know, are channels 1 (south dispatch) and 4 (north dispatch). Those talkgroups will be used off Simulcast G of the RWC. Talkgroup IDs to come soon.

KB7MIB

I would try TG's in the 4600 and 4700 range. I've already heard transmissions in the 4690-4699 range as well as the 4720's and 4730's, that sounded like the City of Glendale. Several of them were active around the time of, and related to the Fiesta Bowl.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Some TG's I've heard recently:
4204 Buckeye PD ch 4?
4497 encrypted
4692 Glendale Airport?
4695 Westgate/Fiesta Bowl related
4698 Glendale Sanitation
4699 Glendale Sanitation
4724 encrypted
4725 encrypted

KB7MIB

4726 encrypted
4727 Fiesta Bowl related
4732 encrypted

Anyone else have anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.