Glenn M’s Weekly FCC Grants Reports Ending After 14 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Glenn M’s Weekly FCC Grants Reports Ending.

Thanks for doing it for everyone for the past 14 years.

Scanner Community Announcement...

The FCC Daily Transaction files that I need have not been updated in two weeks.
FCC Daily Transaction Files
I was already looking for an end date for the grants as I just don't have the time to spare anymore.
I don't have any data to work on so this is a good time to wrap it up.
Thanks for the kind notes and donations over the years. I will leave the archives up for now.

Happy Scanning and Happy Holidays.

http://fccgrants.x10host.com/quick.htm

P.S Maybe someone that knows how to do it can take it over?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Really appreciated the work over the years, it was a big help and I thank you for the efforts.

kma371

QRT
Wow, that's too bad. Looked forward to visiting the site every Sunday morning for the updates.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Sad to see you have to give it up Glenn. It was a good source of info specially as a heads up to us Admins here of things about to pop. Wish I could help you out.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Will he tell us how we can find them? I really looked forward to reading them.

It's a fair amount of work to do this. Especially the way Glenn parsed the data and highlighted things like emission designators and what mode they are.

It was great resource of info and often contains data that never makes it into the RRDB unless someone submits their findings after scanning a new or modified license.

Some info on how Glenn did this is here: Using the raw FCC data

There are others that do this also but usually just for certain states.
The RRDB Admin for Missouri and Illinois provides an FCC Update pull each week that he sends to a couple Yahoo groups he is involved with. Other than that, I'm not aware of another source as complete as what Glenn provided. Glenn's main page Quick Scanner Links does have a link for someone that provides similar data for some Midwest states but it seems that data may not be as complete as what Glenn supplied.

Bottom line, anyone can get the same data Glenn offered but it takes some knowledge and time to put it back together in an easy to read format.
I know I'll sure miss it! I used a command line program called WGET which Glenn's site supported that allowed me to download html formatted listings each week for just the two states I'm interested in. I'd noticed a while back that the last update was for the period ending 11/03/18.

nd5y

Will he tell us how we can find them? I really looked forward to reading them.
I don't know how to work with the raw data files but it's easy to use the FCC ULS web pages to search for applications filed, or licenses issued, in a particular state within a date range like the past day, week, month or between specific dates.

I might write a sticky post on how to do it but probably not.

For applications go to
Application Search - Advanced Application Search

For licenses go to
License Search - Advanced License Search

There is another search page at https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports. It can sometimes be easier to use depending on what you are looking for.

You can also search FCC license data right here on radioreference. You can list all the licenses in your county like this
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fccLicenses&ctid=2765&os=0&s=gr&bf=479. The columns are sortable so you can list them by grant date with recently issued or modified licenses at the top of the list. This can be quicker than using the FCC web sites but it's not perfect. It leaves out some things like mobile licenses, doesn't cover all radio services, and if a license covers muliple counties it will add a bunch of junk outside your county.

Last edited:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
How often is the FCC data on RR (by county) updated though?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how to work with the raw data files but it's easy to use the FCC ULS web pages to search for applications filed, or licenses issued, in a particular state within a date range like the past day, week, month or between specific dates.

I might write a sticky post on how to do it but probably not.

If you wrote a sticky, I am sure it would be most appreciated by the many people who loved getting Glenn's updates and to the new people who did not know about Glenn's weekly reports until seeing this thread. I have Microsoft Access and would love to learn how to do it.

nd5y

How often is the FCC data on RR (by county) updated though?
As far as I know it's still weekly, but if they use the same data files that Glenn did that weren't updated recently then maybe not.

If you look at the bottom of the page on RR data reports or individual licenses it show the date that the FCC data was last updated.

The data that you can look up on the FCC web sites is updated overnight after each business day. That means duing a normal week when the FCC works Monday-Friday there are no updates on Sunday or Monday.

Last edited:

Wacker_1

Premium Subscriber
Glenn M

I looked forward to Glenn’s post every Sunday . I’m not sure how much time Glenn put into put I’m sure it was countless hours .Sorry to see it go .

autovon

Ø
Glenn's dedication to getting that data out there is appreciated. Thanks for the hard work over the years.

DaveWA1IKN

Glenn - Thank you for a great service

Glenn did a great service for all scanner monitors. A job well done!
Any possibility that Radio Reference could pick the function Glenn so selfishly provide to us?
Dave-WA1IKN

Status
Not open for further replies.