• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Glossary and scanner choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryc8171

Premium Subscriber
There are many acronyms and after reading the wiki definitions/articles I still don't understand exactly what I'll need. My other posts have me strongly leaning to 996P2. I've been listening to police, fire and EMS in Kent county (Grand Rapids) MI on an analog scanner. Will I need DMR, ProVoice, NXDN? I think I remember a member saying NXDN is not available on the 996P2. Is that something that could be an upgrade in the future? When buying, I would rather spend a little more now and know I'll be good for a number of years.

Do I also understand that I could be using Freescan or ProScan and the RR database to be programming my desired settings before I even purchase a scanner?

Thanks. I appreciate all who have posted over many months and have helped novices like myself. I have learned much while reading hours of posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.