Gloucester County P25 on Uniden SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone on here monitoring Gloucester County P25 700mhz system using a Uniden SDS100? If so, do you have the latest firmware upgrade? How does it sound? I'm about 7 miles north of Gloucester County and while there was some improvement with the latest firmware on the SDS100, that's the only system I am still having a lot of trouble with. What are your filter settings, NFM or FM, and do you have the P25 NAC activated? Thanks!

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
The RS 800mhz portable duckie. Even when I am in Gloucester County it doesn't sound right, I have to get all the way down to the college in Sewell for it to be consistent. I've tried a few different filters. I'm using the NORMAL filter on FM modulation. That sounds the least messed up, but far from perfect.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Gloucester County seems to be a rough system to receive with scanners. I've read in other threads folks are still having issues with LSM even with the SDS100/200. Perhaps there are some tweaks in the scanner that would help it, can't help you with that as I do not own that scanner. Good luck.

KC2KQH

I was also going to point out that you might be suffering the effects of weak signal strength. I'm 7-10 miles from two different sites on the system in question. I spent months developing a setup that only partially works to receive this system. It took a 5 element yagi at 30' to get so-so reception on good days. On the best days I still don't always get clean decode. On bad days it isn't even worth trying. I'm feeding that yagi directly into an SDR connected to a Raspberry Pi which then feeds the signal across a network connection to another system for demodulation.

-Ryan

bucket772

Feed Provider
Not on a SDS scanner but I'm about 1.5 miles from the Cecil Site. I monitor on a BCD325 and also a RTL-SDR fed into a Rpi. No real issues. I use the RS 800 antenna on the scanner and various others on the SDR. I haven't tried the SDR in a vehicle yet

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
When I'm at work in Logan Twp in Pureland park, I use a NooElec SDR dongle with a small telescoping antenna indoors feeding DSD Plus fastlane and it works great, very good decode. I go out to my car in the parking lot and listen on a whistler TRX II and its absolute crap. APX6000 portable works the best obviously out of the 3 options I have.

bucket772

Feed Provider
When I'm at work in Logan Twp in Pureland park, I use a NooElec SDR dongle with a small telescoping antenna indoors feeding DSD Plus fastlane and it works great, very good decode. I go out to my car in the parking lot and listen on a whistler TRX II and its absolute crap. APX6000 portable works the best obviously out of the 3 options I have.
If im not mistaken there is a site in Logan. What antenna do you have on the TRX? Also have you tried OP25 for decoding? Ive got it running on a raspberry pi with the same dongle you have. Sounds as good just about as my APX6000

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
If im not mistaken there is a site in Logan. What antenna do you have on the TRX? Also have you tried OP25 for decoding? Ive got it running on a raspberry pi with the same dongle you have. Sounds as good just about as my APX6000

Yes there is a site in Logan, I'm not exactly sure where it is. I have the Larsen tri-band NMO antenna. I've tried a Motorola mono-bander for the 700 public safety band with no improvement. Its the scanner which isn't designed to receive LSM type systems. The SDR with DSD plus fastlane is great, love it. Super easy to setup and very flexible. I monitor some DMR systems with it too so that's why I went with it.

Sorry if were getting off topic here a little policefreak, surely there must be someone else on here with a SDS100/200 that monitors Gloucester County that may be able to offer up some advice.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Actually I find the discussion helpful. Where the sites are located, and how other equipment performs on the system all give me a better idea of how my SDS100 is actually doing. Yesterday driving around that area my SDS100 performed rather wel. It even did ok pretty far into neighboring Camden County. Today (different atmospheric conditions) it did not perform as well driving through some of the same areas. For the SDS100 I am starting to think a lot its struggles on this system has to do with simulcast distortion. The distorted audio mimics what happens when it picks up cell site interference, but I am very sure this is not the issue in those locations. It is the only loc 700mhz P25 Phase 2 voice system that presents this issue so far on the SDS100.

bucket772

Feed Provider
Actually I find the discussion helpful. Where the sites are located, and how other equipment performs on the system all give me a better idea of how my SDS100 is actually doing. Yesterday driving around that area my SDS100 performed rather wel. It even did ok pretty far into neighboring Camden County. Today (different atmospheric conditions) it did not perform as well driving through some of the same areas. For the SDS100 I am starting to think a lot its struggles on this system has to do with simulcast distortion. The distorted audio mimics what happens when it picks up cell site interference, but I am very sure this is not the issue in those locations. It is the only loc 700mhz P25 Phase 2 voice system that presents this issue so far on the SDS100.
You could be having an issue with the Cecil site and I believe the site near the college as far as the simulcast. Maybe drop an attenuator on it and see how that works.
ULS License - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQWB911 - GLOUCESTER, COUNTY OF - Locations Summary

lovescanner

i got the sd100 yesterday i love it

i use to live in milltown by new brunswick and middlesexy county comes in here in elizabeth

with the antenna that came with the radio

i use to have the 325

Status
Not open for further replies.