GMRS Ch1 ragchew anyone? (Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

happystuff

Ratpatrol, yes exactly. I listen and call out on 462.5625/Ch1 sometimes. Precisely because I believe it is the most common channel.

I've read in different places which channel is the national frs/gmrs calling channel. There seems to be little agreement.

However, it's been my experience I hear the most traffic on Ch.1.

VA3XDJ

A few french guys regularly chat on 462.7125 in the Ottawa-Gatineau area.

Friendly bunch.

Mostly CB'ers and hams.

They're mostly located in Quebec in Papineauville area with a few in Ottawa and Gatineau and some in Rockland.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
When I lived in the Hammer on the top floor of a 17 story building with a lake view I was able to chat with people in Millcroft and Grimsby.

On the nite of the blackout the radios were busy, not much else to do while the power was out.

When we lived in the Marlee and Eg area there were a few guys, generally in the st.Clair W/ Caledonia and Dufferin/Bloor who I used to chat with.

I have my own ways of chatting with people using radios but maybe I will look for my radio and see if anyone is willing to chat. I live in Aldershot on the 9th floor of a highrise with a view towards the N,S,W.

There used to be a group of guys a couple of years back that used 462.5625. I think they were in high-rises in Toronto and a couple of guys on the Niagara Peninsula. Nice to hear how far apart and how powerful their radios were. They had great signals.
It was interesting until they morphed into the Trailer Park Boys and swore over anyone who happened upon their channel.

I used to be part of the group. I was the guy in St Catharines and the 4 others on the south side of the lake were in Lewiston, Lockport, and Youngstown NY. And yes the trailer park boys lingo was used by 3 in the group that lived right downtown when the ___ parking lot guys at ACC and Rogers center standing 10' apart would just start talking on ch 1. I used to drive up the mountain in Grimsby 2X per week and talk back to a few of the guys in Downtown TO. The good old days. Here in Muskoka there is alot of GMRS activity BUT it's mostly beered up fishermen.

mciupa

For the most part, you guys had interesting convo's, enough that I would put the scanner on hold and listen in.

The problem was when flea powered HT's would interrupt and then the sh**storm (as Lahey would say) would start. :roll:

happystuff

Finally! I had a friendly conversation with someone who only called himself "Thomas". Heard him calling out on Ch.1.

Otherwise, I hear a lot of business talk on Ch.1. Very weak signals too.

happystuff

Am I correct in understanding that GMRS (at least in Canada) is still analog only?

i.e. DMR is not allowed on GMRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.