• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS for motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

revpat

I'm new here and new to two-way radios (except for my law enforcement career). I was wanting to set up a mobile two way to function on FRS and GMRS to use with other riders in our group using FRS and possibly GMRS. I would like more than the 2 or 5 watt that most handhelds use and an external antenna to mount on a trunk. Any suggestions. I heard Kenwood TK-805D or TK-840s would work for this. I would really like to keep the cost low as well.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
FRS is limited to 0.5W and the built-in antenna. GMRS has less restrictions, but does require a license. (A GMRS license covers everyone living in your household.)

revpat

Ok

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to get a GMRS license but wondering about specific radios which would be mountable on a motorcycle fairing and perhaps adaptable to using a motorcycle headset setup.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Kenwood 805 is a good choice, and you should be able to find them pretty cheap.
FRS/GMRS gets pretty confusing since there is some overlap. There are 7 GMRS frequencies (limited to 5 watts) that are shared with FRS. If you were properly licensed on GMRS, it would technically be legal to use those 7 shared channels to talk to your buddies on their FRS radios.
GMRS, of course, allows you to use up to 50 watts.
Word of caution though, you really don't want an antenna running 50 watts that close to you, as it would be on a motorcycle. The traditional "motorcycle" radios used by the police are often limited to around 15watts.

Both Motorola and Vertex make dedicated motorcycle radios. Actually, they are mobile radios with a specific remote head designed for weather resistance and for mounting on a motorcycle. The radio "guts" are mountable in a box. They will be harder to find and likely more expensive.

A standard mobile radio will work, but you will need to protect it from the weather. You will either want a headset, or a good external speaker that will allow you to hear the radio.
I ran GMRS on my ATV's for a few years and then switched to amateur/VHF. It's nice having the extra power, but I always needed a headset or a big speaker to be able to hear the others over the noise.

Another thing to consider if finding a place to mount the antenna. If you have boxes to mount it on, that works, just make sure you have a suitable ground plane under the antenna, or you are using a ground independent antenna.

The other option is to use a hand held, and power it off the motorcycle battery, install a permanent antenna, and hook it up to your intercom system. There are a lot of systems out there designed for this.

Interfacing a mobile radio to a headset can be a bit more difficult. But, searching the web and being ready to experiment will lead to success.

revpat

thanks

Thanks for the good and thorough reply. I have a full fairing I'm going to install on my bike which should house the radio if I go that route. I will have a large rear "trunk" on the rear where I thought I'd install the antenna. Not sure whether I'm going to try and go the external speaker or headset but would like to have a headset type mic in order to keep both hands on the bars. I missed a bid on a Kenwood 805 today to get started.

One more question, do radios such as the 805 and 840 power down when on the GRMS frequencies or is there a way to switch down to the legal 5w.

Thanks again,

hockeyshrink

Kenwood TK-3101 is ideal for this application, IMHO. Its older, available, easily programmable, easily connected to headsets, and has a VOX feature.

N4KVE

I use a Motorola Spectra motorcycle radio in my car. Not because I have a motorcycle, but because it's the only way to get a 438-470 mhz Spectra. They are 15 watt radios, but mine is turned down to 5 watts because my 100 watt amplifier can't take more than 5 watts input. Great radio! GARY N4KVE

W2NJS

revpat, the OP, wrote above:

"One more question, do radios such as the 805 and 840 power down when on the GRMS frequencies or is there a way to switch down to the legal 5w."

You may have misread what was given as the legal power level for FRS. It is 0.5 watts, or one-half of a watt, not 5 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.