• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS License Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptDan

Unbelievable what some people will come up with to try and scam others out of money. I received a notice today for a company in California that they will assist me with the task of renewing my FCC GMRS License for the mere price of $165.00

For that price they will mail me FCC form 605 for my signature and when I return it to them, they will forward it to the FCC.

I have to wonder how many people they get to pay them to mail the form in.

end of rant :)

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Unbelievable what some people will come up with to try and scam others out of money. I received a notice today for a company in California that they will assist me with the task of renewing my FCC GMRS License for the mere price of $165.00

For that price they will mail me FCC form 605 for my signature and when I return it to them, they will forward it to the FCC.

My fire department gets similar letters, mailed from a Gettysburg address. I chuckle, and pitch them in the shredder. (Especially since our FCC licenses are free, as a government entity.)

Sent using Tapatalk

bharvey2

If you send me your FRN and login credentials, I'll do it for you for $150!

Okay, all kidding aside, I'm guessing that if enough of these letters are sent out, the sender will eventually get some solid "hits". At work, every once in a while we'll get an invoice for non-existent services or products. I think the hope is that the AP department will see the bill and add it to the stack of payables without validating whether the invoice is real or not. What is that saying ascribed to PT Barnum? "There's a sucker born every minute."

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you send me your FRN and login credentials, I'll do it for you for $150!

Okay, all kidding aside, I'm guessing that if enough of these letters are sent out, the sender will eventually get some solid "hits". At work, every once in a while we'll get an invoice for non-existent services or products. I think the hope is that the AP department will see the bill and add it to the stack of payables without validating whether the invoice is real or not. What is that saying ascribed to PT Barnum? "There's a sucker born every minute."

Yep.
Obviously they get enough business to make it worth their while.

bharvey2

Yes. It's sad that people fall victim to this type of behavior. Sadder still that other engage in it.

CaptDan

I agree with all the comments - it's just sad people try and take advantage of other people like that.

Since moving to Florida, I receive an invoice at least once a month from companies I've never heard of, or have done business with. One even sends past due notices, when i finally called and challenged them, I get some lame brain excuse.

Ok rant over was just sharing.

bharvey2

About 10 or so years ago, the wife and I were in the market for a large SUV (think Ford Expedition). I took to Craigslist and E-Bay as search tools and found a number of unscrupulous posters that had "too good to be true" vehicles for sale. Photos of the cars were clearly professionally taken at exotic locales. The usual premise was that the owner and car were nowhere near the post location and the car was listed at way below market value. The typical ploy was that the owner was desperate to sell it and would be willing to ship the car to "your" location for a nominal fee of just a few thousand dollars. If the card wasn't everything the seller made it out to be and you didn't wish to proceed with the sale, your money would be fully refunded, no questions asked. "How lucky can one get?" you ask.

I had found myself a new hobby. I relentlessly pursued these sellers, using newly formed e-mail addresses. As luck would have it, I always had friends or family in their area (usually military or local PD) who would be willing to bring them the deposit fee if not the asking price and to inspection the goods because , I REALLY wanted that car! I would hound them until eventually, the post for the car would be removed and the sellers account cancelled. I apparently missed my calling as a lucrative online comedian as one of my sons introduced me to the videos of James Veitch, a young man who engages e-mail scammers in a similar fashion. Google him. You man find his videos amusing.

In any case. I hope my "work" prevented at least a few people from being scammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.