• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Radio Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1njl

I am looking for a pair of GMRS handheld radios that my wife and I can use when we are at our summer cottage. Inevitably one of us will go for a walk and it would be good to be able to communicate with each other. Before you ask, yes we do have cell phones but radios are much cooler. At least I know that even though my wife isn't yet convinced. Most of the radios I've seen look like FRS toys and I'm looking for something more robust. Can anyone recommend something I should look at?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Motorola DLR. Can't be heard via scanner and that may play very well with XYL's opinion and willingness to use. (At least it does mine ;-)

N4KVE

A couple of Nextel phones with direct talk would work great. They are cheap, & easy to find. If you must have GMRS, a pair of UHF MTS2000’s, or even XPR6350’s would work better than the bubble pack GMRS radios. They’re all very inexpensive now, & I use them with friends at racing events

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am looking for a pair of GMRS handheld radios that my wife and I can use when we are at our summer cottage. Inevitably one of us will go for a walk and it would be good to be able to communicate with each other. Before you ask, yes we do have cell phones but radios are much cooler. At least I know that even though my wife isn't yet convinced. Most of the radios I've seen look like FRS toys and I'm looking for something more robust. Can anyone recommend something I should look at?

There's a lot of options, and "Best" means different things to different people. There's a lot of people on youtube and other social media pages that are convinced their opinions are the best, but a lot of it is bad info.

Knowing what sort of money you are willing to spend would help a lot. No point in me recommending a $100 radio when you only want to spend $25...

What sort of range are you expecting? Be realistic.

Do you want consumer grade or something on the commercial side?

Do you have, or are you willing to get your FCC issued GMRS license?

ka1njl

mmdkenna Thank you for the good questions. I did not use the word "best" on purpose for exactly the reasons you state. I'm prepared to spend $100 - $200 per radio and I am looking for the maximum legal power of 5 watts with a detachable antenna. Any other functions, like a built in GPS, would be welcome but they are not required. I do have a GMRS license so that is not a problem.

I am not interested in subscribing to another cell phone carrier's services (e.g. Nextel) nor am I interested in paying something like $16,000 for two new APX 8000's that I will not likely be able to program myself. I also do not want to use a 900MHz radio like the Motorola DLR series. I just want a pair of reliable GMRS radios that are sturdier, louder and have clearer audio than the consumer-grade models that are $30 each. A friend suggested that I look at the BridgeCom Echo radios and so far they are at the top of my list. I will appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
mmdkenna Thank you for the good questions. I did not use the word "best" on purpose for exactly the reasons you state. I'm prepared to spend $100 - $200 per radio and I am looking for the maximum legal power of 5 watts with a detachable antenna. Any other functions, like a built in GPS, would be welcome but they are not required. I do have a GMRS license so that is not a problem.

OK, good info.

My personal favorite is the Kenwood TK-3180. It's a commercial UHF radio, but is built like a tank. I've been using one as a shop radio for a few years now for a few UHF repeaters I maintain at work. The 450-520MHz version has the necessary FCC Part 95 certification to make it perfectly legal on GMRS. It'll also stretch down into the top of the 70cm band if you wanted.
Accessories are plentiful. Programming is about as easy as you can get on a commercial radio. KPG-89 programming software is probably one of the easier softwares to learn.
It's a 4 watt radio, and while you can find some brands that claim 5 watts, it's usually a limitation of the amplifier and heat dissipation. No way you'd notice the difference between 4 and 5 watts. Also, the limitation is 50 watts, but obviously not something you'd run from a portable.

The TK-3180 is no longer in production, Kenwood end-of-life'd them just a while back. Still a ton of them on the used market, some new-old-stock also. Should be well within your budget, including software and programming cable.

There are many other options out there, Kenwood just happens to be my favorite and is a perfectly good radio that meets all the requirements. 20 years ago I used to run Icom F-4 UHF handheld radios on GMRS. They are pretty ancient now, but you can find them on the used market.

I am not interested in subscribing to another cell phone carrier's services (e.g. Nextel) nor am I interested in paying something like $16,000 for two new APX 8000's that I will not likely be able to program myself. I also do not want to use a 900MHz radio like the Motorola DLR series. I just want a pair of reliable GMRS radios that are sturdier, louder and have clearer audio than the consumer-grade models that are $30 each. A friend suggested that I look at the BridgeCom Echo radios and so far they are at the top of my list. I will appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

OK, yeah there's a lot of options, but not all of them good. The Motorola 900MHz stuff is pretty good, but it does limit you to communicating with your own radios.
Bridgecom is mostly rebadged low/mid grade Chinese stuff. Hams love them.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Echo radios are spec'd at only 3 watts, and the user manual indicates that most of the simplex channels (including the 8 former GMRS-only simplex channels) are limited/fixed to .5 watts. In addition, I have not been able to confirm that the antenna is removable. The manual shows a removable antenna, but the radio diagram suggests that the antenna is fixed.

Here's a link to the manual which, interestingly, I could not find on the Bridgecom site...

JP-Hollywood

You might want to check out the Wouxun line of radios. The KG805G and KG905G are in your price range. They are new, can be programmed from the radio itself or with optional free software. They are manufactured in China (isn’t most things done there) but they have an American company doing the specifications and supporting them.

There’s quite a few of them used here in the Las Vegas valley with good results.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Motorola DLR. Can't be heard via scanner and that may play very well with XYL's opinion and willingness to use. (At least it does mine ;-)
The Motorola radio you are describing (DLR) came to Motorola shops with a different model number, but they were the worst of the worse, bottom of the line, poor performance all the way around. It finally came down to our dealership not even selling that model because it was so inferior. The next worse model was the BPR40. All of my sales of either model of radio were returned because they just didn't work.

I just didn't want the inquiring person (KA1NJL) to make a bad purchase. Sadly, most Wal Mart stores use the "DLR" or its clone for associate to associate comms, usually within their building. Of course, it didn't help that they held the radio by the antenna as a handle. I brought this to the attention of a store assistant manager, and she said she couldn't bother with trivial details of the operation of their "handies" as she called them.

If KA1NJL makes a sensible purchase, please turn off the "roger beep" function, as it's very annoying to other co-channel users.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have four of these and they're about the best consumer grade FRS/GMRS radios I've ever used. Very durable!

Midland - X-TALKER T71VP3, 36 Channel FRS Two-Way Radio - Up to 38 (1-2 miles realistically, greater over water or in wide open line-of-sight view) Mile Range Walkie Talkie, 121 Privacy Codes, & NOAA Weather Scan + Alert (Pair Pack) (Black/Silver)

They also accept 3 regular "AA" batteries if you don't have your charger or electricity available (very important when TSHTF)!

Your wife might be more accepting of these small light weight radios vs. a large heavy commercial professional radio. If you damage or lose one it's not the end of the world.

1650563116414.png

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The Motorola radio you are describing (DLR) came to Motorola shops with a different model number, but they were the worst of the worse, bottom of the line, poor performance all the way around. It finally came down to our dealership not even selling that model because it was so inferior. The next worse model was the BPR40. All of my sales of either model of radio were returned because they just didn't work.

I just didn't want the inquiring person (KA1NJL) to make a bad purchase. Sadly, most Wal Mart stores use the "DLR" or its clone for associate to associate comms, usually within their building. Of course, it didn't help that they held the radio by the antenna as a handle. I brought this to the attention of a store assistant manager, and she said she couldn't bother with trivial details of the operation of their "handies" as she called them.
Gosh - I guess this video must have been completely faked -
... and this one?
... and the posters in this thread (and others) here on RR maybe are misleading all of us? I guess the "if it's on the Internet it must be true" applies here (?). How could I be so gullible?
Motorola DTR700 Portable Digital Radio 900Mhz
Oh.... the DLRs are mentioned in the thread. Are they the ones that are the "worst of the worse" (among the DLR / DTR / Curve family)?

Last edited:

Wicho

I've found the DTR and DLR to be far superior to GMRS HT's (simplex, of course) in most environments. I'll still take GMRS or MURS radios on hikes or camping, but just because if they get lost, dropped or damaged they're less expensive to replace, and I have extra batteries for them. Longest distance I've used my DTR700's in is 1.42 miles in a HEAVY urban setting, and about 2.5 miles on open interstate. My GMRS HT's won't work simplex at that range in the city.

I bought my DTR700's new, and three of my DLR1060's were purchased new, 3 others used from ebay. With patience and luck, you can find good prices on the 1060's and 1020's. Recently, many of the DLR ebay listings are missing batteries and back covers, and holsters. Still haven't figured out why so many are missing the back covers, but they're about $10 to replace.

To the OP, I'd say if your cottage is in a populated area (beach town, lake, etc) where many other radio users may be, go DTR/DLR if you can afford it.

tomhank

I entered the world of GMRS for the first time with the Midland MXT275 2-way radio. The "bundle" kit was a great way to eliminate all the guesswork involved in finding antennas, wires, antenna mounts, etc. for the head unit. It was convenient because it was essentially plug and play. The installation was simple, and everything else was inserted invisibly behind the integrated control microphone. The only thing anyone would notice is my truck's roof rack's pretty unassuming ghost antenna. Also really effective.

grappler401

Ideal for camping and hiking, the new BTech Pro has GPS positioning included which sends the location to a map screen on your cell phone app. You can even text with 2 radios. It sells for $139.00. If simplicity is what you want go for the Radioddity GM-30, they only cost $40.00 and charge via USB.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
Off the top of my head, anything BTech makes for GMRS is gonna do ok. The GMRS PRO is their smallest GMRS unit and with the antenna permanently attached, there's one less thing to debate. It charges with the same USB-C cable a modern Android does and extra batteries can be charged separate from the radio.
It includes text messaging via a phone app. The app combined several programs into one, namely a programming software, maps, messaging app, and probably the kitchen sink.
If GMRS isn't absolutely required, try some Talkabout radios or the Cobra FLT-1035. I've found when I'm out on the lake, FRS more than suits my needs for communication between members of the group while one or two of us will carry VHF capable ham radios with 156.800 programmed for *emergency* use only. We've been several places where there is no cell service, all communication is done via simplex.
BTE it's legal to send data packets on some FRS the channels if you can find a radio that'll do it. If you use a GMRS or FRS radio with data and pair it to your phone, there'll be no noticeable difference even though your texts are going out by radio instead of the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.