• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Go box speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Not sure where to post this, moderator can move this if not in right place. But any ho, i am planning a go box with both ham radio and scanner equipment, but primarily scanner equipment.
i am needing to add some external speakers. I absolutely love the audio from my bcd996p2. i would like to use speakers that sound EXACTLY like the 996. I am considering these speakers

YAESU MLS-200M10
Powerwerx MBXSPK
KENWOOD KES-3S
UNIDEN BC23A
YAESU MLS-100
UNIDEN BC15

Can someone confirm if the bc23a REQUIRES power or not
am leaning towards the mls-200

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The BCD996** series of scanners have a nice low warmer mellow tone to them. It's not so much due to the interal speaker but the audio circuits in the scanners. Most scanners have their audio tailored more to the mid-range frequencies. That's to make voice mid-range frequencies more intelligible and to clip the highs and low to reduce noise or interference. Most any 'communications' speaker will have those properties. You might want to use a speaker that's more intended for music or high fidelity sound if that is more to your liking. Some of Uniden's external scanner speakers a push button filter switch that produces a suttle change in the audio tone. The Uniden BC15 speaker is an example:
1552094585687.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
YAESU MLS-200M10
Powerwerx MBXSPK
KENWOOD KES-3S
UNIDEN BC23A
YAESU MLS-100
UNIDEN BC15

I've used the Yaesu MLS-100. I had it in my wife's car for a few years and was happy with it. Currently it's mounted in my son's off road buggy and gets beat pretty hard. While it is not intended for outdoor/exposed sort of usage, it's stood up well to some splashes and some mud. Driving it with a Motorola CDM-750 and it's working well.

I've got several of the Kenwood KES-3's. A couple mounted in vehicles. Works well. Not my favorite speaker for mobile use, but acceptable. Kenwood is EOL'ing these and will be releasing a replacement some time soon. Pretty sure Kenwood does not make them, but just rebadged overseas stuff. There's several similar speakers with other brand names on them.

I've always been really happy with the Motorola HSN9326 or similar speakers. You can often find them used and fairly cheap. You'll need to put the correct connector on the end for your radio. But they are great speakers and will really take a beating. I've used a lot of them over the years.

cmdrwill

Motorola FSN5526A is a good 8 ohm speaker. IIRC they were used on mobile cellphones.

KENWOOD GENERIC EXTERNAL SPEAKER ham cb communication | eBay is another good Kenwood one. 8 ohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.