GOES Weather Satellite with a Patch Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitenoise

No, that patch antenna does not have enough gain. Also, the polarization for GOES is linear, the polarization of that patch antenna is RHCP - on top of it not having enough gain, it will be at a 3dB disadvantage due to polarization mismatch.

You need a dish about 4 feet in size (1.2m) for a good enough signal (with margin). Some are also using wifi mesh reflectors with some success as well.

hope that helps.

SpaceHawk

Thank you for your reply.

So, it is not possible to receive geostationary meteorological satellites with a "relatively small and portable" antenna?

I thought that if it works with Outernet (that has a similar frequency) will also work with other satellites.

I was trying to figure out a way to receive meteorological data (images...) during a flight on a light aircraft (we do not have ADS-B 978 mhz in Europe). And the low orbit satellites are not a good option because you have to wait for them to pass over your position.

So, I was thinking about Meteosat. But is not viable to fit a 4 feet antenna on the aircraft (not fixed to the fuselage, but being manually oriented by a passenger).

Is there any option to do this? Or is just a crazy idea?

Thank you very much. Regards!!

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I got the Antenna and the is rubbish.
I cant receive anything. The Signals are that weak.

So, it is not possible to receive geostationary meteorological satellites with a "relatively small and portable" antenna?
Define what portable it mean for you.
Fit in a Backpack. In a Car or a Truck?

I was trying to figure out a way to receive meteorological data (images...) during a flight on a light aircraft
You mine a small "private" Plane or a commercial Airliner?

Status
Not open for further replies.