• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Good Beginner GMRS Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrix9445

Hey guys,

I'm looking for opinions on a good mobile GMRS radio setup.

I have a bunch of parts for Motorola Spectras, should I peruse that?

I'm also looking the Motorola MCS 2000, seem to be in the $150 price range, are they easy to program? I have the RIB that I use for the Spectras and Sabers, is that the same box?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Motorola in notorious for making software about as easy as Chinese Algebra! But, once you have done it several times, it gets easier. Unless you get a radio that uses CPS, you have to have a slower computer to do the programming (even though I have programmed many with a P166). The software for Kenwoods and Icoms are about as easy as it gets. I have a Kenwood TK830 with a remote head that has a large 12 character alpha display that I really like.

What ever you get is going to be up to you, as everyone here, myself included, have personal preferences. I used to use Spectra's, but they were limited to 8 characters, 11 on the A9 head.

GMRS Radio

Although not a GMRS radio in the sense that you can walk into some store and the radio with the GMRS frequencies are already programmed in, i am using a Bearcom /Vertex BC95 5W UHF radio which Bearcom programmed for me. The BC95 can be used by a whole hosts of other industries as long as you are licensed to do so.
www.bearcom.com http://www.bearcom.com/ecatalog/Rad...il.cfm?PID=2037&CFID=1189046&CFTOKEN=94396957

and no I have no affiliation with that or any other company.

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Isn't Chinese algebra just as easy as regular algebra? :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Yeah, I used to be a hard-core Motorola guy, but times change. Make sure you take a real hard look at the other manufacturers like b7spectra said.

Motorola Radios

Isn't Chinese algebra just as easy as regular algebra? :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Yeah, I used to be a hard-core Motorola guy, but times change. Make sure you take a real hard look at the other manufacturers like b7spectra said.

I have two old Motorola radios we were licensed for two vhf HT600 and two uhf Radius p110s. I called the FCC and only had our former call signs to give them and they could find no record of them. Heck our license expired to those two years ago and have no idea where the paper license even is.

ab6ojll

I have two old Motorola radios we were licensed for two vhf HT600 and two uhf Radius p110s.]

------- Why don't you use the old radios for the GMRS radio rather than buying new ?
-------- Any reason ?

---- License is for the station/operator. Not for the Equipment.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I currently have one of my many radios programmed up for GMRS its a HT600 its only 6 channels but it works pretty well.

why not use

I have two old Motorola radios we were licensed for two vhf HT600 and two uhf Radius p110s.]

------- Why don't you use the old radios for the GMRS radio rather than buying new ?
-------- Any reason ?

---- License is for the station/operator. Not for the Equipment.
You are correct in licensing is for the operator and not the equipement.

The HT 600s and the Radius P110 did not use GMRS frequencies. Yes the HT600 is a 6 channel and the radius p110 is a 4 channel Motorola radio.
They were out of use for so long that the FCC has no records of our call signs and I copied down from a frequency counter the frequencies those radios used, and the FCC doesnt even recognize those frequencies although we were licensed to use both radios. All we did was purchase new batteries for the old radios. Luckly we were able to find them. Yes I suppose we can use those too as well.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The HT 600 is like a tank in size and weight in comparison to today's smaller technology.

That it is, but they are cheap and good basic radios and they are durable. I'd rather drop a HT600 then my HT1000 or my HT1250

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I remember using HT 600s when I was on the Sheriff's Dept. a few years back. You couldn't kill those boat anchors if you tried!

Manny

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Another good radio too are the Jedi series, Like the HT1000's or the MT or MTS2000's. You can pretty much find HT1000's for around 150 bucks on ebay now days.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
All HT1000's/Visars are Narrow Band Compliant the only difference with the DN revisions are that the DN radios will take the splinter freqs ie the 2.5 spacing channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.