Good Mobile Ham Rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_k

I've been to the sites that sell the rigs, and to say the least the layouts are horrible. Radio enthusiasts just aren't good at making easy to use websites for their business (no offense) so it's tough to find a radio to buy, the websites have too much stuff cluttering the page!

I'm looking for a mobile base with at least these features available:
1) Detatchable/mountable head display.
2) 2 meters / 440mhz ability
3) Up to 50 watts transmit power
4) I don't know the name of this feature, but it has two frequencies on the left/right of the display, and allows you to monitor both at the same time.
5) DTMF on the Mic.

The only two I've come across is the Icom IC-208H and Kenwood TM-D710A from hamradio.com. I'm wondering if these are the only two radios made with these types of features?

Do any of you know of any other rigs that are capable of this besides the two listed above? I also like the microphones with RJ45 plugs (BONUS if the detachable face uses rj45.)

Callsign should be posted in FCC ULS any day now and need to start looking at options!

Last edited:

Tom_G

Yaesu FT-8800

The Yaesu FT-8800 is the true dual bander which will have both bands viewable at the same time.
The Icom 2820 will also do that.

jon_k

Tom_G said:
The Yaesu FT-8800 is the true dual bander which will have both bands viewable at the same time.
The Icom 2820 will also do that.

ft8800_0.jpg

Does the FT-8800 have a removable face to be mounted elsewhere? Is it an additional option? Doesn't look like it by the images.

On the other hand, the Icom 2820 does look nice. With true dual bands, and detachable plate. I will begin research into this one.
ic2820h.jpg

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

n2mdk

I've always been partial to Yaesu seem to get more bang for your buck. If I was going to get a mobile right now, guess I'd go for the FT-8900 it's $399 at most of the major retailers. It's a quad band at a good price.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
I like the Kenwoods. The audio has always been great and the programming software is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.