Good News For Hillsborough County

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesburlander

Premium Subscriber
Just now, I spoke to Sheriff Chronister on the phone (I produce Newsradio 970 WFLA) -- I asked him his views on Encryption and such... discussed what Gary Pruitt had said.

He did acknowledge TAC channels being encrypted, but said the Dispatch channels have no need to be encrypted... as public will find out anyway in any press releases.

Additionally, he acknowledged they WILL be transitioning soon to the new system - due to better coverage throughout the county.

He was very polite and knowledgeable on the topic.

Will keep you updated if I learn more.

CanesFan95

That's encouraging, thanks for the update. Now we have to cross our fingers as to exactly what will be in the clear versus ENC. The new P25 has been up for a few years now. So the transition has been awfully slow. "Soon" could be another year?

tampatracker

Just now, I spoke to Sheriff Chronister on the phone (I produce Newsradio 970 WFLA) -- I asked him his views on Encryption and such... discussed what Gary Pruitt had said.

He did acknowledge TAC channels being encrypted, but said the Dispatch channels have no need to be encrypted... as public will find out anyway in any press releases.

Additionally, he acknowledged they WILL be transitioning soon to the new system - due to better coverage throughout the county.

Thanks for asking that question. Just curious though, is he the last word on this? In other words does he have total control on what happens with the encryption issue?

jamesburlander

Premium Subscriber
I’m not sure if HE fully would have the last day. He knew about the “800mhz system” as he had referred to it and about the digital and encryption.

He also had stated when the transfer happens he’ll learn more about all capabilities.

I’m sure collegeues and the system programmers will have an opinion to add.

I don’t work for HCSO, so not sure of the approval process of who decides what.

tampatracker

I’m not sure if HE fully would have the last day. He knew about the “800mhz system” as he had referred to it and about the digital and encryption.

He also had stated when the transfer happens he’ll learn more about all capabilities.

Got it. Well whether or not he has the final say or not is in my opinion overshadowed by the fact he is against it, and as the top guy his opinion goes a long way. Great work, thanks James.

CanesFan95

Tampa Fire F4 11-064 EDACS is being multicast as Phase I on TG 1460 right now on the west P25 system.

ngel

Now why has the news media turned a blind eye on Pasco's Enc all of their communications including Fire on that new system? I have sent numerous emails to the media trying to get them involved in Pasco Counties new system but no one seems have wanted to get involved and now their way into programming radios already with ENC on literally everything.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Just now, I spoke to Sheriff Chronister on the phone (I produce Newsradio 970 WFLA)
That's the way it should be for everyone who chooses to encrypt. Have your dispatch channels in the clear, encrypt only tac channels if need be. Just my two cents

trooper890

The Sheriff would certainly have the final say. The 800 MHz radio system falls under HCSO.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
This is great news from Sheriff Chronister. I appreciate that he was open about the TAC channels going ENC, too and not just denying or being quiet on the matter.

I wonder how the system's coverage will be dealt with, though? You really cannot hear much on it right now due to it being a simulcast system. Every time my TRX-1 tries to pick up a transmission on the system, all I hear is a few clicks and if the transmission does actually pull in, it's shoddy at best.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
Now why has the news media turned a blind eye on Pasco's Enc all of their communications including Fire on that new system? I have sent numerous emails to the media trying to get them involved in Pasco Counties new system but no one seems have wanted to get involved and now their way into programming radios already with ENC on literally everything.
If I may say, you could perhaps call them instead of email them. At least when you call in, someone in the newsroom does answer the phone. What happens from there may vary, but at least it's further than having an empty response.

Status
Not open for further replies.