Good Open Sky Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim202

Not wanting to take sides in the New York State mess over the Open Sky system, this article sure sounds like it was right out of the state
news releases. If you have been reading both sides of the battle, there seems to be a huge difference between the parties positions on
what the problems were. My bet is on the court system to settle the issue. With the state being broke, the outcome of the court battle
might not come as any surprise to those in the radio industry.

radiomanNJ1

Just the title is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a good open sky radio system.

We bought it and told you how important it was to have it and we are sticking with that story no matter what says the fire chief and all the others who were talked into buying something that does not fufill their needs and certainly the safety of the employees. Why Chief just take a look at all the other successful installations - that will take 5 seconds.

When I was a Security Officer at a local city hospital in Colorado Springs, If need to be I could switch over to the Sheriff's dept or police department with our radios if absolutely necessary. Of course they could be programmed for other talkgroups.

When I was a Security Officer at a local city hospital in Colorado Springs, If need to be I could switch over to the Sheriff's dept or police department with our radios if absolutely necessary. Of course they could be programmed for other talkgroups.

It had a switch with a,b, or c. I think they were ASTRO or Motorola can't remember.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
In relation to the New York State mess, Harris's public position is the same as M/A Comm, that it was financial and not that the system didn't work. B.S. You would think they would be smart enough having dealt with government agencies all these years to just bow out of open sky and go with P-25.

RayAir

I had a nice conversation with a police officer today regarding his Open Sky radio. He must have been instructed not to discuss the system with people because he asked me who I worked for before he would answer my questions. That's no problem I showed him my work I.D ( an agency that is on Open Sky).

To be objective here's what he said: He said the radios are "so-so". He did say that there is less static than there was before on the analog 800 system, but that the radio cuts out and the volume control is horrible. His biggest complaint was the audio sometimes getting lost or isn't clear(cuts in and out) and sometimes you can't get a signal in the buildings (no signal or rejected).

Just getting the word out since without inside info there is no way to tell how our tax dollars are working out since the general public has no way of knowing about these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.