• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Good Startup Radios for Family Outings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I cannot seem to motivate my wife to test for her ham ticket, so I bought us a pair of cheapie Midland FRS's for when shopping at flea markets, etc. I want to upgrade and get a better pair of radios, as these cheapies lose contact when we lose sight of each other. What's the best that FRS enthusiasts use? I want to invest in a good pair that will last, has good distance, and good audio and ease of operation. Doing some traveling soon and need a quick fix for FRS. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

JD
kf4anc

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
As you noticed, the cheap bubble pack radios (normally bubble pack radios of any kind) are garbage.

If you don't mind spending the money, a good pair of DTR radios is a great choice. They are not FRS, but license free 900 MHz. 900 MHz has much different propagation characteristics than UHF where FRS/GMRS sits, but I've had incredibly good luck with them.

I've heard decent things about the Btech GMRS radios. A lot of people also program Part 90 business band radios for FRS/GMRS, though it's not technically legal unless the radio is also Part 95 type accepted.

Another option would be to get your GMRS license so you can run 5w on the handhelds instead of 2w. Not going to be a huge difference, but might be enough on the fringe areas with a good radio.

Bob1955

I cannot seem to motivate my wife to test for her ham ticket, so I bought us a pair of cheapie Midland FRS's for when shopping at flea markets, etc. I want to upgrade and get a better pair of radios, as these cheapies lose contact when we lose sight of each other. What's the best that FRS enthusiasts use? I want to invest in a good pair that will last, has good distance, and good audio and ease of operation. Doing some traveling soon and need a quick fix for FRS. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

JD
kf4anc
TailGator911, Go with Uniden America Corporation, FRS is a low power short range 2 way transceiver. I'm sure Amzon.com carries them.
Have a great weekend.

Bob (KB2GQK)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
But, do understand that all these radios are line-of-sight radios. If you go behind a building, mountain, wall, hillock or anything else that blocks radio waves, comms are lost. We get up to 50 miles on some models, but do so by going to the top of Mt. Scott and talking to the other radio down in the valley past the Red River. Most cases for all these radios, "two blocks to two miles." Even on open terrain, the horizon is typically 3 miles away, limiting range to about 6 miles (each person gets 3 miles to the horizon).

That said, when my parents were full time RVers they used them extensively when shopping, around the RV park and, most importantly, when backing the 5th wheel trailer into a slot (try doing that with hand signals, some time).

I do agree with Bob, that Uniden's are the best. Well, of course I think my kids are better than those other guy's kids. When we range test other brands to their stated range, very often they fall short. We test all of ours to our stated range (in open field conditions like I described above) and are able to achieve these ranges.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Funny you should mention using radios while backing up a trailer. I trained drivers for Crete Carrier for a few years and I bought a pair of FRS radios that I kept in my truck for just those occasions. Much better than hand signals and profanity. hah If I remember right they were Midlands, too, a quickie purchase at a Pilot truckstop store.

I am on the Uniden Factory Outlet store and looking at the Uniden SX329-2CKHS model. Seems to have everything I am looking for - most importantly privacy codes - and then some. Voice Call, NOAA Weather w/alert GMRS and FRS, 32-mile range that probably shakes down to two blocks to two miles. Listed as their 'Best Seller' for $80 a pair. Would you recommend these? If not, steer me to what you consider the best. Thanks, Paul!

I await your reply with my finger on the trigger :)

JD
kf4anc

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That said, when my parents were full time RVers they used them extensively when shopping, around the RV park and, most importantly, when backing the 5th wheel trailer into a slot (try doing that with hand signals, some time).

Besides when things go South while backing up the 5th wheel trailer you can't swear with hand signals! :oops:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've used various FRS radios over the years, and I also used a Motorola HT1000 on GMRS and my experience there wasn't much difference in spite of the quality and power. 1-2 miles is pretty standard. High end licensed ICOM amateur radios won't make a difference either. Don't spend a lot on radios unless you're working through a repeater or you'll be disappointed.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Besides when things go South while backing up the 5th wheel trailer you can't swear with hand signals! :oops:
Oh, actually you can. Just ask me in person to "speak up" for a live example.

The radios reduced a lot of marital stress.

As to recommendation, the SX327's are great choices. The step-up (SX377) primarily adds submersibility, which means you can really get it seriously wet (3 feet under water for 30 minutes, when you both float to the surface at least it will still be working).

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
No such thing as "license free" All are Licensed by Rule.

Nobody understands license by rule. Means absolutely nothing to most people.

And actually, there is such a thing. The FCC itself uses the terms interchangeably. They refer to license by rule, as well as "unlicensed," "non-licensed," and "without individual licenses." ;)

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
No such thing as "license free" All are Licensed by Rule.

Did I say license free? From the FCC website "MURS is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required. But I was just trying to help the OP out, carry on with the ridiculous nitpicking.

cmdrwill

Nobody understands license by rule. Means absolutely nothing to most people.

And actually, there is such a thing. The FCC itself uses the terms interchangeably. They refer to license by rule, as well as "unlicensed," "non-licensed," and "without individual licenses." ;)

So people need to understand the Rules and Regulations.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
So people need to understand the Rules and Regulations.

It's not that they don't understand the rules (which are included with every radio), they don't understand the term "licensed by rule", and nobody outside of the silly Semantics Police actually cares.

Licensed by rule = license free = unlicensed transmitters = unlicensed operation = non-licensed = without individual licenses = individual license is not required = all the other terms that the FCC themselves uses interchangeably for the Personal Radio Service. That's the FCC using those terms, not me. Perhaps you should write them and tell them that there is no such thing as license free? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.