Got a General Today As Welll

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbtins

I thought I would add mine in here as well. I went to test for just the tech today and passed it with 100%. The VEC talked me into taking the General even though I had not studied for it. I reluctantly agreed and I passed that as well! Woot!

He asked me if I wanted to try the extra, but I did not want to push my luck -- maybe next time! :)

Now -- what to buy what to buy... :)

See you on the air.

Mike

JeremyB

Congrats on passing, do you have a background in comms/electronics that you passed the general without studying for it? Or just got lucky?

the what to buy is a tougher question and it depends on you, what you're interested in and what rigs you feel comfortable operating, mobile/base and how much you can spend

mbtins

I graduated with my electrical engineering degree about 12 years back. That and some overlap with what I read while studying for the general exam got me the points I needed to get the general license.

I did not focus on RF / analog when I was in my EE program. I was mostly working with digital / embedded and software. But good ole V=IR is still floating around in my head after all this time and that certainly helped.

I've been a radio / scanner / SW listener since I was about 10 -- that helped some too.

I got a buddy who has been a ham for quite some time and he has some extra stuff that he said he will loan me to play with while I decide what I might want to get.

I think I will get set up with echo link as well.

Mike T

Congrats on passing, do you have a background in comms/electronics that you passed the general without studying for it? Or just got lucky?

the what to buy is a tougher question and it depends on you, what you're interested in and what rigs you feel comfortable operating, mobile/base and how much you can spend

joseph2020

Congrats! I passed my Tech and General on the same day too, but I had to study for it, you lucky dog!

As to what to get...it all depends on what bands you are interested in and how much you can spend.

KD8DVR

I thought I would add mine in here as well. I went to test for just the tech today and passed it with 100%. The VEC talked me into taking the General even though I had not studied for it. I reluctantly agreed and I passed that as well! Woot!

He asked me if I wanted to try the extra, but I did not want to push my luck -- maybe next time! :)

Now -- what to buy what to buy... :)

See you on the air.

Mike

Well congrats!!! I got talked into my General too.... Only missed it by two points.. not matter... I got it at Hamvention the next year :)

Again congrats :)

I cannot suggest what to buy... sooo much out there.... If I had the money... "one of everything"!

73 john

mbtins

Took the test on Sat and the FCC had it in the ULS today. KC9UMM (but I just applied for a vanity call) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.