• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Got a used CP200, how to program it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkthing

So I recently acquired a secondhand CP200 (I think it's the non-XLS version) with an extra battery very cheaply. Only problem is that I have no idea how to program this handheld two-way so that I can used it as a scanner. I can get the programming cable, but it's the software that I'm not sure about. What software do I use, and can I even use this radio like a scanner? I'm guessing it doesn't support trunking, though since they look exactly the same I'm not sure if it's the XLS model, which does.

WX2CIB

I have a CP200 4 ch and CP200XLS 128 ch. If you can attach a picture of the radio you have I can help you. Yes they can be used as scanners.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

blinkthing

I have a CP200 4 ch and CP200XLS 128 ch. If you can attach a picture of the radio you have I can help you. Yes they can be used as scanners.

The radio is the same one that is picture on the linked CP200 Motorola site (though for some reason the interior of the battery is painted yellow, and I can't figure out how to remove the battery). How hard was it to program it?

The software package needed to program the CP200 is Motorola RVN4191. It can only be purchased from Motorola via the Motorola On Line system. You need to set up an account with them before you can purchase anything.

Oh yeah, the price is $199.00. I strongly urge that you read the "sticky" above regarding obtaining programming software.

http://forums.radioreference.com/motorola-forum/74748-you-looking-free-programming-software.html

Hopefully they are willing to sell it to me. Is it easy to use? Do I have to scour the net for tutorials on it or is it pretty straight-forward?

Also, is this absolutely the only software package that allows programming, or are there outdated version/different ones that I can maybe buy at a cheaper price? The stickied thread says that RSS also works, but it also says that it's harder to buy that? I've read about something called CPS on the Motorola site, will this work as well?

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully they are willing to sell it to me. Is it easy to use? Do I have to scour the net for tutorials on it or is it pretty straight-forward?

Also, is this absolutely the only software package that allows programming, or are there outdated version/different ones that I can maybe buy at a cheaper price? The stickied thread says that RSS also works, but it also says that it's harder to buy that? I've read about something called CPS on the Motorola site, will this work as well?

RSS is Radio Service Software and is mostly for older radios and it runs mostly under DOS. CPS is Customer Programming Software and runs on Windows platforms. RVN4191 is CPS.

As has been said here many times, you can not program a Motorola radio with an older version of the CPS than it was last programmed with.

Motorola frowns on sales of their software by anyone other than themselves. They have been known to aggressively pursue and prosecute offenders.

There is no other program except RVN4191 that will program the CP200.

As far as "easy to use", let me just say that there are a lot of people programming radios these days. Many of them should not be doing it.

blinkthing

A question about the cable, will any 2.5mm to USB do? I doesn't seem like there's any special about the ones that say CP200 compared to the generic ones.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
A question about the cable, will any 2.5mm to USB do? I doesn't seem like there's any special about the ones that say CP200 compared to the generic ones.

You need a cable that is built for the CP200 family of radios. While others may look identical, they may not be wired the same or use the same voltages, etc.

Look, do yourself a favor, stop looking for shortcuts that do not exist, and just do this right. Buy the current version of the software from Motorola (comes with a subscription for 3 years worth of updates), and the get correct cable for the radio. Kawamall sells a cable for $20.47 that works just fine USB Programming cable for Motorola GP2000 P040 CP200 | eBay - I have two of them; one in my personal tool kit and one in the shop on the bench.

WX2CIB

You need a cable that is built for the CP200 family of radios. While others may look identical, they may not be wired the same or use the same voltages, etc.

Look, do yourself a favor, stop looking for shortcuts that do not exist, and just do this right. Buy the current version of the software from Motorola (comes with a subscription for 3 years worth of updates), and the get correct cable for the radio. Kawamall sells a cable for $20.47 that works just fine USB Programming cable for Motorola GP2000 P040 CP200 | eBay - I have two of them; one in my personal tool kit and one in the shop on the bench.

I agree with this post. I bought one from Kawamall and it works great.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Ditto, AlphaNovember!

The radio is fairly easy to program and once programmed, you will really enjoy the quality. I did as has been suggested - I purchased a subscription for the software at Motorola Online. It's easy to get an account and even easier to but the CPS. I believe the number is correct in that it was around $200. But that is a 3-year subscription and every update during that time will be automatically sent to you.

Metrofire31
Atlanta
WQIT636

cabletech

Go here: businessonline.motorolasolutions.com, create an account, then call 800) 814-0601 ans request the ablity to order software and products.

They will walk you thru how to 'sign' the agreements to allow you to order.

SFD790

do you have to have a programming Cable that has RIB or is RIB-less?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------CP200XLS, Motorola Minitor IV, Jingtong-199, Radio Shack PRO 2055, Radio Shack PRO-197

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
The CP200 uses a RIB but there are so-called RIB-less cables which despite the name, actually have RIB electronics built into them.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
If you already have a RIB, you can make your own for a lot cheaper than buying one. Otherwise, the few RIB-less ones I've seen work OK. Still best to use OEM when possible (except for the price!).

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
So, Will it matter which one Buy?

If you use it correctly, it is unlikely that you will ever notice a difference.

Several posts back, I posted a link to an Ebay listing for the KawaMall cable for the Commercial Series portables. Many folks have used them without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.