Governor cuomo announces $80 million in state homeland security grants

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemansteve6921

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
GOVERNOR CUOMO ANNOUNCES $80 MILLION IN STATE HOMELAND SECURITY GRANTS

Grants support statewide preparedness programs, protection of critical infrastructure and increasing search and rescue teams

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced $80 million in grant funding to strengthen local emergency preparedness capabilities in municipalities across the State. The combined state and federal grant funds are distributed through the New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services (DHSES).

“New York has seen some of the nation’s worst disasters in recent years, and this $80 million will go a long way to strengthening the network of locally-based emergency response infrastructure across our state,” Governor Cuomo said. “First responders are often the initial line of defense in any critical incident, and supporting their communication abilities is an important way for the state to help safeguard our communities during a crisis. My administration is committed to providing our emergency personnel with the assistance they need to serve their communities.”

DHSES Commissioner Jerome M. Hauer said, “Each year, with Governor Cuomo’s leadership, DHSES distributes critically important grant funds to local municipalities and first responders that help them fortify their disaster preparedness and response capabilities. Following a comprehensive technical review process that brings together federal, state and local experts, the grant funds are released to applicants who have demonstrated their ability to meet established criteria and will utilize the available grant funds to provide the most efficient and effective protective services to their communities.”

This round of grant funding includes $75 million from the annual DHSES Statewide Interoperable Communications Grant (SICG), which provides critical support to local governments to enhance vital emergency communications systems. Through this grant, local governments are improving the ability of first responders to effectively communicate with neighboring counties in a disaster and thus taking all the necessary steps in responding quickly to any emergency, maintaining a high level of interagency communication and providing maximum public safety. Over the three rounds of SICG, including this current round, 53 counties across the State will benefit from a total of $197 million that has been awarded. A breakdown of this year’s $75 million SICG funding by county is as follows:

· Allegany: $5,951,039
· Broome: $6,000,000
· Cattaraugus: $6,000,000
· Cayuga: $5,251,690
· Franklin: $3,407,921
· Fulton: $2,327,780
· Hamilton: $2,530,385
· Herkimer: $899,462
· Jefferson: $6,000,000
· Lewis: $6,000,000
· Livingston: $5,994,854
· Montgomery: $1,685,554
· Oswego: $6,000,000
· Saratoga: $2,280,500
· Seneca: $6,000,000
· St. Lawrence: $2,679,690
· Westchester: $5,991,125

firemansteve6921

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
HAHA. I don't know enough about him to say anything bad but im sure he didn't do anything any other governor could or would do.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
On a more serious note, folks contemplating purchases of new scanners in any county listed above that is not already P25 for government and public safety would do well to hold off buying until you know for sure what your county is going to do with the grant money. Either that or purchase a high end scanner that will handle most protocols and systems.

For example, I live in Fulton County which is currently analog conventional for everything. However, the conditions of these grants require any new systems installed to be P25 compliant. Since we share a common border with Saratoga County which just finished up rolling out a very extensive 800 Mhz P25 system for all governmental use, a fair guess would be that we'll be moving in the same direction.

All of my two-way gear is VHF analog conventional. Some of it will handle trunking, but no P25. My one and only scanner won't do P25. I am not making any further purchases until I know what the plan will be.

KC2zZe

What does fuac mean and +1 LOL I'm lost here.
+1 in this forum is similiar to what "like" means in the world of Facebook.

F U A C is short for Free Upstate (from) Andrew Cuomo - a loosely organized movement trying to get the next governor to be from somewhere else in the State, well north of Westchester County. Cuomo is beholden to the leftists that populate the New York City Metropolitan area, and governs the entire state accordingly. The illegal passage of the SAFE Act is probably the most glaring and one good example of what is amounting to a continuation of his father's regime, and the destruction inflicted on this once great State from that era. I could go on with other examples (Tax Zones, Fracking, etc.) but this isn't the appropriate thread for these types of discussions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.