GPS 18 OEM for 996. Plug issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pointy

I know that the above GPS works with the 996 radio. What I want to know is can you get a serial to USB adaptor so that the GPS gets its power from the radio instead of the cigarette lighter adaptor supplied with the GPS?

Thanks You.

Uplink

pointy said:
I know that the above GPS works with the 996 radio. What I want to know is can you get a serial to USB adaptor so that the GPS gets its power from the radio instead of the cigarette lighter adaptor supplied with the GPS?

Thanks You.

I haven't tried that on mine, but I doubt the GPS18PC or the scanners USB jack is physically wired that way. I do know that the cigarette lighter plug is also neccessary because it drops the voltage down from 12 volts DC to 5v.

pointy

Hmmm. You are right in saying that it may not get any power out of the adaptor....Guess they made them that way for a reason.

Thanks.

Ubbe

The BCT996 doesn't have any USB signalling, it's only the connector style that could be misstaken for a mini USB. Both rear and front connectors are plain serial RS232.

I've made an internal 5v stab modification to my BCT15 to power a GPS without having to fiddle around with an extra cigg plug. Pictures can be found in the BCT15 yahoogroups forum.

Ubbe.

Status
Not open for further replies.