GPS Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4SXZ

I did a search, and couldn't come up with the answers I was looking for.

Does the 536 take in the GPS location from a device on demand (constant), or does it take it in on set intervals? I ask because on my trial run, it didn't seem to drop/add systems for almost 10 additional miles. Range was set to 0, and I confirmed locations using google earth before and after my trip.

If the 536 is supposed to do it on demand, I wonder if the GPS has a send timer? Its a eTrax Venture (old yes, but still works. lol

Thanks for your help, just trying to figure this stuff out.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
i use the Uniden puck and it works fine, what baud rate is yours set at

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the entered range of the systems in question.

Even though you have your range set on the scanner set as zero, if the system itself has a range of ten, then it would still be active. The actual range, where systems toggle on and off is the sum of the range on the scanner, PLUS the range of the system.

KI4SXZ

Yes. I have double checked those too. On a few of them I manually QK'd them in and out and when I did they stayed out or in appropriately.

KI4SXZ

I did just find on the GPS a tracking log setting page. On it is the ability to change how often it puts the location into the log. I wonder if that also determines how often it will send the location through the interface. I'm adjusting that, and will see the results on the next go around.

troymail

Silent Key
Another HUGE factor is the location information stored with the entries in the RRDB.

On my early experiences, I found many of the entries were not accurate. Many entries get some form of a default setting since most (very few I assume) submissions are made with location and range information.

You may want to take a few local systems, etc. and review their details (lat/lon and range) on RRDB to determine if they are reasonably accurate and test with just a few at first.

I ended up spending quite a bit of time submitting corrections to the location data for my area before things started working like I expected.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The simple answer is yes, once the GPS gets a fix on satellites, it continuously sends lat/long data to the scanner.

Why "things" don't go off when you think they should is a "whole 'nother thing". The Range value set in the scanner (in your case 0) is but one variable in the equation of what comes on/goes off and when it does. Site Ranges and Department Ranges are other variables.

You might want to look at the article below:

How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Status
Not open for further replies.