GPS scanning: heavy geocoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
From the WIKI it suggests... "not all geopolitical areas are perfect circles. You can modify the shape of the system by entering multiple sites for the system (even though the system might have only one site) and use different location settings for each site. For example, stack two circles to make a tall, narrow scan area for the system."

Does anyone have a good method for laying out systems like this? I am looking for a map software program, etc. that will let me look at a location on a map and drop a pin or reference point and will draw a radius (circle) and drop a couple other points to make a visual of the tall narrow scan area. Once I have perfected the area I want, I can get all the coordinates for all the reference points and add them as sites in the radio. Anyone got an easy way to do this, or a nice piece of software that allows you to do it? It would be nice if the map went down to the level of showing county, city and town boundries too, so you could make any kind of shape layout needed.

Last edited:

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
FreeScan has the GPS System Plotter which will show you all your systems plotted out on a map. Unfortunately, it doesn't help you while you are trying to plot them.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I've found a way in Microsoft Streets and Trips to draw circles and adjust the radius but havent figured out how to identify the center of the radius by lat/long.

Anyone know how to do this or know another program that does this?

n5ims

Not sure about your sig line.

"To Ø or not to O – that is the question." Do you really intend to say "To 'use encryption' or not to 'transmit in the clear' - that is the question"? It almost sounds like you've already decided to use encryption!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I've found a way in Microsoft Streets and Trips to draw circles and adjust the radius but havent figured out how to identify the center of the radius by lat/long.

Anyone know how to do this or know another program that does this?

I've been using Delorme Topo for this ever since getting my 996T years ago...as a matter of fact, I had to readjust the Boulder Co. radius tonight (with Delorme) for more complete coverage.

You can drag any size radius you want from any pre-determined point and tag it with Lat/Lon before or after dragging out the radius. What I usually do once I've done that is to change the tag to the site name which is then hyperlinked to a spreadsheet with specific site info on it.

Last edited:

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Yes! Frankly, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to read that correctly!

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, thou encryption key be update, so civils in the capital can't hear ye."

Time to change the signature again.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I've been using Delorme Topo for this ever since getting my 996T years ago...as a matter of fact, I had to readjust the Boulder Co. radius tonight (with Delorme) for more complete coverage.

So it lets you draw and adjust circles, tells you the radius and pinponts the centers coordinates for you?

Can it be done with Street Atlas too?

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
So it lets you draw and adjust circles, tells you the radius and pinponts the centers coordinates for you?
Yes sir. Typically, you pick a center point and then drag out the radius from there. Once that is done, it marks the point you started from. Right clicking on that point gives you various options for tagging (i.e. - Lat/Lon, pre-defined text, user-defined text, etc.).

Can it be done with Street Atlas too?
I believe so (its been awhile since I've used Street Atlas).

Also, FYI - I use Topo 6 (circa 2006?), so you can imagine the improved feature set now...

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Here's an example - I've dragged out a 5.0 mile radius from a site on Green Mountain (see lower left portion of circle).
Also, as you may notice, you can just type in the radius you want from a Lat/Lon you provide and it will draw it for you (see fields to the left of the overview map in the lower right-hand corner)

Attachments

• T6 radius sample.jpg
    T6 radius sample.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Here's what it looks like tagging the center-point with Lat/Lon.
Street Atlas should look similar.

Attachments

• T6 radius sample 2.jpg
    T6 radius sample 2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

markbart

Streets and Trips

I did something similar in Streets and Trips.

Mark

Attachments

• Spencer.jpg
    Spencer.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 314

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Allright. Thanks everyone.

I was able to do it in Delorme.

In Streets & Trips, I can only figure out how to draw the circle, I can't figure out how to get it to tell me the center point coordinates.

SCPD

QRT
Under "Tools" in the menu bar is "Location Sensor" which will give the coordinates of where you point the "cursor".

Status
Not open for further replies.