GPS scanning with 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Attempting GPS scanning with a Garmin 18X GPS and my 396XT scanner with no luck. Here's the thread I have going at Scan New England to better understand where I'm at. If anyone can offer help/assistance it's greatly appreciated, thank you.

GPS Scanning

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Are you absolutely positive what you got was a null modem adapter and not just a gender changer? I seen them mislabeled or just flat out not being null modem.

KevinC

Super Moderator
That's just a gender changer, you nee a null modem/gender changer.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'll exchange the one I bought at RS tomorrow. Did not know there was a difference. One other question, and pardon my ignorance but is the GPS ready to go "out of the box?" It powers up fine as shown.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Thanks, I'll exchange the one I bought at RS tomorrow. Did not know there was a difference. One other question, and pardon my ignorance but is the GPS ready to go "out of the box?" It powers up fine as shown.

Before you just exchange, make sure you will have the proper gender without the changer, I bet you'll still need the gender changer. Take EVERYTHING with you to confirm...I know from personal experience genders can get confusing (I'm talking connector-wise).

The GPS "should" be good to go out of the box.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Would this work? If you look close there's only 8 pins but it is a Null Modem.

Last edited:

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I know that whatever it's called, null modem or gender changer, it needs to be a DB9 Male DB9 Male. The RS example above is just that.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Last edited:

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so to confirm, I would just need the RS Null Modem that you posted the link to? That's it? Good to go after that?

KevinC

Super Moderator
Ok, so to confirm, I would just need the RS Null Modem that you posted the link to? That's it? Good to go after that?

The Uniden cable is female and the GPS cable is female, so with the null modem adapter I linked you would still need a gender changer.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Now I'm confused. The DB9 Male DB9 Male Null Modem AND a gender changer (another adapter or what?) is what I need? Doesn't the DB9 Null Modem alone take care of this?

KevinC

Super Moderator
The GPS cable is female, the Uniden cable is female, the null modem I linked is female on one end and male on the other so you need to mate the proper genders with a gender changer. If you'you're talking about the eBay one, assuming it's truly a null modem it would require no gender changer.

You positively need a null modem adapter, if you can find one with the proper genders so no changers are needed that's fine.

Last edited:

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I understand now. Thinking I only needed one extra item and not two was throwing me off, especially having no knowledge of any of this GPS type scanning. Will get what I need tomorrow and hopefully will be up and running. Thanks for the help.

Can you explain to me just what the difference is from a null modem and a gender adapter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KevinC

Super Moderator
Ok, I understand now. Thinking I only needed one extra item and not two was throwing me off, especially having no knowledge of any of this GPS type scanning. Will get what I need tomorrow and hopefully will be up and running. Thanks for the help.

Can you explain to me just what the difference is from a null modem and a gender adapter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The gender changer just changes gender...Duh. :D

See the below link for null modem...

Null modem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
They both change gender, I just didn't know what made the null modem different.

KevinC

Super Moderator
They both change gender, I just didn't know what made the null modem different.

Null modem has pins 2 and 3 crossed (what is pin 2 on side "A" is connected to pin 3 on side "B" and pin 3 on side "A" is connected to pin 2 on side "B"), a gender changer only changes sexes of the connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.