• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Grammar Lesson for Today: Apostrophe's

Status
Not open for further replies.

16b

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure that this sounds nit-picky, but I feel that I am doing the community a service. Plus this drives me insane.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not picking on anybody in particular.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/561/02/
Remember that apostrophes are not used to make words plural. When making a word plural, only an "s" is added, not an apostrophe and an "s."
http://dissc.tees.ac.uk/Mistakes/apostrophes/Apostrophes-Print.htm
You don't use an apostrophe to show the plural, that is to show that there's more than one of something. It's wrong to write more than one student as student's. Similarly, more than one essay is essays, not essay's, more than one book is books, not book's, and so on.
I must add that more than one BC-396 is BC-396s, not BC-396's, and more than one XTS is XTSs, not XTS's.

Further reading on apostrophes (not apostrophe's) can be done at:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html

dangitdoug

16b said:
I'm sure that this sounds nit-picky, but I feel that I am doing the community a service. Plus this drives me insane.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not picking on anybody in particular.

I must add that more than one BC-396 is BC-396s, not BC-396's, and more than one XTS is XTSs, not XTS's.

Further reading on apostrophes (not apostrophe's) can be done at:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html
Evrbudy thet askeded tu goe bak to sixed grede, rayse yur hand's!!

16b said:
Would that not ne XTSes instead?

Nouns ending in s, z, ch, sh, and x
Nouns with these letters at the end call for an "es" in the plural form. This added syllable makes pronunciation easier.

Last edited:

Go-24

Nit picky? LOL

What about that apostrophe in your title - the one that comes after that e and before the s in apostrophe's ??

elk2370bruce

aLL thiS reeding is harde on my i's. Besides, I check this site for content. If I want correct grammar, a good, well-written, book is more than sufficient. Frequency and data tables are extremely difficult to diagram for sentence structure.

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
If I am not getting graded or working on business, then I don't care how I or anyone else types, spells or uses grammer. I'm a big boy now and if I want to eat my dessert BEFORE the main meal, then, dang it, I will. So there.....Nya Nya Nya!

grem467

the irony of this is your title.. according to proper grammar putting a 's denotes ownership.

what does your apostrophe own?

N

N_Jay

"BC-386's" could refer to attributes of BC-396s.

Of course all BC-396s have those attributes so it should be BC-396s's. commonly written BC-396s' :lol: :lol: :lol:

jrplmil

"Evrbudy thet askeded tu goe bak to sixed grede, rayse yur hand's!!"

Careful he will give you spelling lessons.
He would not make it as a CW operator with all the shortcuts like c u later.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
16b said:
More than one BCD396T and XTS would make me more happier, or something like that.

16b

Premium Subscriber
grem467 said:
the irony of this is your title.. according to proper grammar putting a 's denotes ownership.
How ironic. Seems almost planned, don't you say?

Anyway, the original post was meant in jest. Sort of a light-hearted thing, you know. I am far from perfect in my grammar's and spelling's. I know that ranting on the Internet does no good, but I just needed to let that one out :lol:

I forgot. This is the Internet, and as such everything *must* be taken seriously.

16b said:
How ironic. Seems almost planned, don't you say?

Anyway, the original post was meant in jest. Sort of a light-hearted thing, you know. I am far from perfect in my grammar's and spelling's. I know that ranting on the Internet does no good, but I just needed to let that one out :lol:

I forgot. This is the Internet, and as such everything *must* be taken seriously.
And my reply was light hearted as well. Just going with the fun of it all. Sarcasm is always implied

denseglow

I don't understand how people care about non-sense things so much... who cares! So some people are not as good at grammer as you. Get over it, it's called life.

elk2370bruce

All new members will be requred to maintain a copy of the most recent edition of "Harbrace" in order to post. Your posts will be graded and errors deducted from the all important post count. I agree with the above. Who the hell cares? If you do, take a doggie downer, wash it down with a little JW Black, and take a little nap. You'll feel better in the morning.

16b

Premium Subscriber
newbie said:
Would that not ne XTSes instead?

Nouns ending in s, z, ch, sh, and x
Nouns with these letters at the end call for an "es" in the plural form. This added syllable makes pronunciation easier.
Good point! See, I ain't perfect after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.