Granby + Surrounding Area Fire Signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Does anyone know the Granby/E. Granby fire dept signal codes? or any surrounding area; I.E. Windsor Locks, Suffield, etc. I know a signal 50 is Alarm of Fire and 23 is emergency; but does anyone here know any others? Thanks, 404

cg

Premium Subscriber
The vast majority is plain language now following a national recommendation. Granby (Lost Acres) is one of the last holdouts that insists on signals and they don't use them all.
Off the top of my head, Hartford County Signals (other counties had some differences)
12 - refreshments
23 - emergency other than fire
24 - non emergency call
25 - storm warning
50 - fire
51 - report to your station
52 - off the air
53 - on the air
54 - incident under control
59 - phone call
60 - change channels
62 - mutual aid
65 - working fire
66 - refuel apparatus
71 - return to station
72 - chief at scene
73 - available for other assignment
75 - death in department
76 - search and rescue
83 - slow down
85 - radio test
87 - first apparatus on scene
88 - first officer on scene
99 - air crash

Some older outdated codes found here but some may still be current.
RADIO CODES & SIGNALS - CONNECTICUT

chris

scanner404

Feed Provider
Thanks, where did you find these? For the longest time I thought they were using the Connecticut Mutual Aid Radio signals;Then again a signal 24 (Disaster) wouldn't make much sense.

scanner404

Feed Provider

Thanks, where did you find these? For the longest time I thought they were using the Connecticut Mutual Aid Radio signals;Then again a signal 24 (Disaster) wouldn't make much sense.

I meant to say, " A signal 24 (Disaster), wouldn't make much sense for some of the calls I've been hearing"...lol.

Also; the link you gave me for the "older outdated codes" from RADIO CODES & SIGNALS - CONNECTICUT must really be old and outdated, considering that they list codes for the HARTFORD ELECTRIC LIGHT COMPANY, which was re-named to Northeast Utilities back in 1966.

scanningisfun

They were from memory, just lots of years of listening.

chris

What does it mean when they say:

"WPWW927--Granby base operating on a signal 5-4-7-1-5-2 for all remaining Lost Acres Units at XX:XX"

--Also, Almost everywhere in Granby I can only hear base traffic and no LA units.

scanner404

Feed Provider
--Also, Almost everywhere in Granby I can only hear base traffic and no LA units.

Granby (Lost Acres) uses the VHF (Very High Frequency) band of 33.94 and does not utilize a repeater for their radio transmissions. The only way you can hear them is if you have a really good/high antenna or if you are in their LOS (line of sight) A.K.A. "right next to them".
What I don't understand is why their police frequency is so quiet; What sounds like a whisper on the Police channel sounds like the person talking is yelling on the Fire or EMS channel.

scanningisfun

Granby (Lost Acres) uses the VHF (Very High Frequency) band of 33.94 and does not utilize a repeater for their radio transmissions. The only way you can hear them is if you have a really good/high antenna or if you are in their LOS (line of sight) A.K.A. "right next to them".
What I don't understand is why their police frequency is so quiet; What sounds like a whisper on the Police channel sounds like the person talking is yelling on the Fire or EMS channel.

YES on the PD frequency. I have the volume offset on +3 and can barely hear them. I have the AGC turned on and everything. I have tried both of the modulation settings and they both fall short. Sometimes, it is so quiet that I can't hear the unit talking.

danko139

Premium Subscriber
Switched to narrowband?

Maybe Granby PD switched to narrowband, which would account for the "weak" and low audio sound. I don't have a narrowband capable scanner but have noticed the same thing on my radio in the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.