• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

GRE Leather Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikea7531

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 21, 2003
Messages
472
Location
South Bound Brook NJ
#3
I decided to purchase it without the picture. I've had the PSR-500 for a few months now, and I don't want to wait any longer for a case. I ordered the hard leather case - it should be here monday if it ships today. If they don't have a Pic on their website by monday, I'll post a few pics for you.
 

skip21

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
53
Location
Area 51
#4
Whats the difference between a HARD and SOFT leather case?

I think I'll wait a bit and see if they offer any with a plastic window.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Messages
194
Location
Suffolk County N.Y.
#5
LilKase.com

No need to wait any longer. www.lilkase.com offers a soft leather case with plastic window
Fits like a glove for the 500 series scanner. Check them out. They offer a lifetime guarantee on workmanship. I have a LilKase for my Pro-96 and Pro-97 and am totally satisfied.
David D.
 

mikea7531

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 21, 2003
Messages
472
Location
South Bound Brook NJ
#7
The reason why I didn't go with 'lilkase is because it uses the existing belt clip on the scanner. I want a swivel clip, so that's why I went with the scannermaster case. I had a swivel clip on my 396 case, and I liked it, plus it made it easier to clip and unclip, and I didn't have to worry about the scanner falling off my belt if I crouch down or when I sit down.
 

CbusRog

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 27, 2008
Messages
32
#11
davidd2957 said:
No need to wait any longer. www.lilkase.com offers a soft leather case with plastic window
Fits like a glove for the 500 series scanner. Check them out. They offer a lifetime guarantee on workmanship. I have a LilKase for my Pro-96 and Pro-97 and am totally satisfied.
David D.
The LilKase isn't leather.
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2006
Messages
251
Location
Long Island, NY
#12
Same here...

davidd2957 said:
No need to wait any longer. www.lilkase.com offers a soft leather case with plastic window
Fits like a glove for the 500 series scanner. Check them out. They offer a lifetime guarantee on workmanship. I have a LilKase for my Pro-96 and Pro-97 and am totally satisfied.
David D.
I will be ordering one as well when I order my PSR-500. Excellent case.
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
143
Location
Tabernacle, NJ
#13
Received the hard leather case for the 500 today, very nice case and the swivel works well too. No plastic covering for the screen/keys, but not a big deal, the radio is well protected. I'll post some pics later. My only issue is, and I had the same problem with the LilKase, I can't seem to get the radio to stand up straight on a surface while in the case. Does anyone have any remedies to make it stand up (other than lean it against something, lol)?
 

mikea7531

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 21, 2003
Messages
472
Location
South Bound Brook NJ
#16
Here's some pictures.

Personally, I like the case. I think it's rugged and will protect the scanner very well. I'm not too concerned about the lack of a clear plastic window, but I feel that this case and clip is rugged enough that it won't fall off of my belt.
 

Attachments

CbusRog

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 27, 2008
Messages
32
#17
Good looking case. It looks like there's no notch for the LED though. I like my LilKase, and I know what you mean about the tippy scanner. With the LilKase, there's some slack space at the bottom. I'm thinking about placing a stiffener there. Maybe a piece of hard plastic or a chunk of old mouse pad.
 
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
1,290
Location
Richmond, VA
#18
Very nice case. At first I was afraid that they'd take a PRO96 case and have you stick foam in it like with the PRO97. But this one looks good. Also looks like you have a belt loop behind the swivel. Does that unsnap?

Suggestion on the rounded bottom: Is there room enough inside that you could wet the case and try to remold the bottom flap into something more concave? Or maybe try some rubber feet or rivets? It's just nuts that case that well-made and expensive won't sit up on a level surface. I wonder if the nylon one might fare better in this area.

On last question: Do you need to remove the scanner's plastic belt clip to fit it in this case?

73/Allen (N4JRI)
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
143
Location
Tabernacle, NJ
#19
n4jri said:
Very nice case. At first I was afraid that they'd take a PRO96 case and have you stick foam in it like with the PRO97. But this one looks good. Also looks like you have a belt loop behind the swivel. Does that unsnap?
Yes, it does indeed unsnap. And I agree, the case is very well made, except for...

n4jri said:
Suggestion on the rounded bottom: Is there room enough inside that you could wet the case and try to remold the bottom flap into something more concave? Or maybe try some rubber feet or rivets? It's just nuts that case that well-made and expensive won't sit up on a level surface. I wonder if the nylon one might fare better in this area.
Yep, it's really mind-boggling, the first thing I would do if I was designing a case would be to make sure it can stand up on its own. Not exactly a minor detail. Very frustrating. But, I'll try your advice, thanks.

n4jri said:
On last question: Do you need to remove the scanner's plastic belt clip to fit it in this case?
Yes, the belt clip does have to be removed.
 

mikea7531

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 21, 2003
Messages
472
Location
South Bound Brook NJ
#20
CbusRog said:
Good looking case. It looks like there's no notch for the LED though. I like my LilKase, and I know what you mean about the tippy scanner. With the LilKase, there's some slack space at the bottom. I'm thinking about placing a stiffener there. Maybe a piece of hard plastic or a chunk of old mouse pad.

There's not notch, but the top of the scanner does peak above it slightly that you do see the LED. It doesn't show it well in the picture, but the LED is visable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top