GRE PSR-500 Belt Clip Mod - BIG improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdralleiii

Feed Provider
Well, after using the my new PSR-500 for about 1 1/2 weeks, I quickly came to the conclusion that the belt clip is definitely inferior and certainly the worst part of this otherwise great radio. I dug around in the parts bin at the house and found a new Motorola HT1250 clip. It has a similar mounting style as the stock clip but it wouldn't fit without some modification. I cut the metal mounting part of the clip down using a dremel tool so it is roughly the same size as the "pocket" on the back of the radio case. I then removed the back of the radio's housing and slid the clip mount down on to the radio to check the fit. All looked good so I drilled 2 small holes through the back of the scanner case into the clip's metal mounting bracket to secure it to the radio and avoid a possible drop later. Everything snugged up well and then I installed the clip to the bracket using the metal pin. Screwed the case back on the radio and voila!.. a belt clip that actually works!

Mod was not real difficult but I would not recommend to anyone who is not comfortable taking apart and drilling through the case (not replaceable as of yet) of a $500+ radio. I've been a radio hobbyist for 20years and have modified many radios so I was comfortable undertaking this fairly basic, but easily screwed up project. I have included some photos of the mod for reference.

Attachments

• IMG00119.jpg
    IMG00119.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3,021
  • IMG00120.jpg
    IMG00120.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,209

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
There was a thread a few weeks back about an improved belt clip for the PSR-500. It involves the use of a Motorola XTS3000/XTS5000 belt clip, which is Motorola part number NTN8266B.

The Motorola belt clip fits the slot on the PSR-500 with no modifications, you only need to secure it to the back of the radio to keep it from slipping out. This can be done either with a dab of glue, epoxy, or by drilling a small hole in the back of the radio and using a small screw through the metal release clip on the belt clip to secure it. I did this mod myself and it works great with a minimum of work. It will also work on the Radio Shack PRO-97, as the back is identical to that of the PSR-500. But yours also turned out very well!

Last edited:

hdralleiii

Feed Provider
The XTS and HT1250 clips are very similar and the HT1250 clip WILL fit just as the XTS clip does. The mod to the HT clip was simply to cut down the metal mounting plate so it doesn't stick above the "pocket" on the radio. Otherwise the clip will fit fine. Most Moto clips use the same mounting bracket. At least the portables that I have owned. I would never trust a clip using glue alone but I was glad to see you used a screw as well. Most glues that will adhere plastic to metal will often make the plastic brittle and ultimately cause fatigue in that area.

I never saw the thread about the XTS clip when I searched. Must have overlooked it.

Thanks for the extra info!

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I was glad to see you used a screw as well. Most glues that will adhere plastic to metal will often make the plastic brittle and ultimately cause fatigue in that area.

I was going to use JB Weld epoxy, but decided to go with a small screw instead. I think it worked out better, for not only the reason you mentioned, but also I can remove it if I ever choose to do so.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I think I'm going to sell my hard leather case, as the longer I have it, the less I like it. I'm going hunting for a Moto belt clip ASAP.

hdralleiii

Feed Provider
I would have say my preference is definately a good clip over a hefty case, that honestly I really don't care for. It's unusable it you are not wearing a belt or are in clothing that doesn't have belt provisions. I also frequently stand my radio up while listening and that doesn't work well while in any of the cases currently made for this radio. Its simply a pain to keep takin git in and out of the case everytime I want to stand it up on a desk, table, etc

Again, all a matter of preference, I do wish the radio's plastic shell was a bit more durable like a Moto but hobbyists have wanted that for as long as I can remember and haven't gotten it! My VX-6 is certainly much more rugged than the scanner as well.

Let me know if you need any help with the Moto clip mod...

KB9LIQ

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Will the belt clips from a Motorola HT1000 work on these scanners? I don't have the scanner but I have several clips

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Will the belt clips from a Motorola HT1000 work on these scanners? I don't have the scanner but I have several clips

No. The slot on the back of the scanner is too wide for the HT1000 belt clip. :mad:

Yes, I tried it!

DiGiTaLD

I would have say my preference is definately a good clip over a hefty case, that honestly I really don't care for. It's unusable it you are not wearing a belt or are in clothing that doesn't have belt provisions. I also frequently stand my radio up while listening and that doesn't work well while in any of the cases currently made for this radio. Its simply a pain to keep takin git in and out of the case everytime I want to stand it up on a desk, table, etc
I've got a soft leather case for mine which I think came from Scannermaster, and it stands up anywhere I set it just fine.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I might try one of the soft cases, as the hard case is very tippy, and I don't really like it all that much.

AerialEars

If you don't want to drill a hole or use epoxy to secure the Motorola clip, simply cut off some of the locking tab. I "scored" it with a pair of diagonal cutters and then twisted back and forth a couple of times and it broke off cleanly.

Push the clip down into the slot and the locking tab will snap down into place if you've cut enough off, holding the clip securely.

If you need to get the clip off, slide a small flat screwdriver down from the top and lift up on the tab while sliding the clip upward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.