GRE PSR-500 Scanner Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelh055

Premium Subscriber
I recently got a new GRE PSR-500 Scanner and I am not too sure on how to program it so I can hear whats going on in the area I live in Cuyahoga County Ohio. Also I have a friend who is a police officer in parma and I would like to be able to scan and hear whats going on in that city but I am unsure on how to set up my scanner to scan that city. Any help would be appreciated!

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
Hey:

Welcome to RR!!! You've definitely come to the right place.
I might as well start off with telling you that I an NOT from your area, so I don't know location specific info. However, I will try to help you if I can.

As for programming your new scanner, you will need to read the manual on how to do that. I can explain some of it to you (I have a Pro-106 which is basically your radio with a radioshack logo on it). Hit program, then F1 for new, then F1 for talkgroup, scroll down to System and make sure that is says 'new', then press select. Then enter the data that it requires(system type, Control Channels, ect...). Read your stock manual, or the one at the link I provided below for more info on how to do this.

Also I would STRONGLY suggest that you post to the Ohio forum. Those folks will be able to help you much more than I can. And, whats more important, THEY KNOW THE AREA. The reason I suggest this is because most people who check the New User forum regularly will just be able to help with general info(i.e. they probably aren't from your area). The information that you will need to program can be found there and in the Database. However, they will know whether your area uses digital or not, ect....(in other words they have the local info).Just tell them what you said here, about your location, what kind of scanner you have, what you wish to monitor, and anything else that you want to know!

Here's a link to the ohio forum:
Radioreference Forums-Ohio Radio Discussion Forum

Also, another link that you might like:
Easier To Read Pro-106/197-PSR-500/600 Scanner Manual

This manual is much easier to understand then the stock manual.

Sincerely,
gr8rcall

Last edited:

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Welcome.

There are several software packages that make programming the PSR500 a breeze. The one I happen to use is Win500, and I recommend it. The others are good too, I am sure. Don't get me wrong. You can do it all manually.........but........why? (lol)

Insure that your firmware is the latest (GRE Americas Website).

Become a premium subscriber here (trust me, it's worth it). Allows you to downlad what you need via software directly from their databases, then dump it to your PSR500, and, you're ready to go.

Not to mention the fact that this site and its utility is amazing. Why not support them?

I am in Ohio (but in the opposite corner (Cincinnati)). Be prepared to patiently learn and tweak settings, as there are many. You will get into it quickly.

the link from above for the "easer to use manual for the PSR500" is excellent as well. Take advantage of it.

Again, welcome, and have fun listening. ALL sorts of folks here to help you out. Just ask, and we'll try.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
PSR 800, Future Purchase?

I am also not from your area, but I have some comments to make about your area. You have a pretty saturated area regarding radio systems. Hence, you need to sit down & specify what services and what agencies you want to hear.

I happen to own a PSR 500 as well, but I can see where I a might have to purchase a new model in the near future, one that monitors Phase II. I can see where one radio system in your area is headed in this direction: Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25) Trunking System, Various, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

Otherwise, the sky is the limit. I second the motion of referencing the forums specific to your state.

I would like to add one thing. I strongly recommend Win500 as programmings software. It is straightforward & user friendly once you learn how to operate such. Also, when programming, you can see the radio system on the top with the associated talk groups (channels) on the bottom, same page. Here is an example of what I'm talking about: WIN500 - UtahRadio

My advice is to go slow. Start with a system, see how your radio responds to that system, and then add more. Your working memory is limited, so you might have to focus on what is most interesting to you.

For instance, one of my V-Folders is dedicated to Tarrant County (city of Ft. Worth), nothing else. It is very packed with talk groups and radio systems. I have a scan list associated with the most interesting and sensitive frequencies/talk groups such as SWAT and surveillance.

If I can be of any further assistance, let me know.

Michaelh055

Premium Subscriber
Okay thank you everyone for your help I was able to get my scanner programmed with the programs you recommend and it is working good so far thank you for all help!

Status
Not open for further replies.