GRE PSR 600 going deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
i have a few of these... and at least 2 of them seem to be going deaf....

are there some common things that cause this (e.g., something that can be fixed?)

?

doug

ScannerSK

I assume you mean the receiver sensitivity is getting worse with time? Does this affect all bands? I have not read of this being a common complaint. I have several of the PSR 600s and one of the PRO-652 scanners and they have not experienced this problem.

Shawn

djeplett

Are they going deaf or drifting off frequency? Sudden drops can knock pots off inside causing them to go off frequency.

Put in a nearby frequency and see if it recieves.

batdude

This is a side by side comparison between multiple radios that are in a non-moving environment. I’d say “damage” is very unlikely. I’ve only played around with VHF as the comparison band for now but 1 of my 600s is really weak (using NOAA) compared to the others.... not a drift problem - thought of that one and checked.

Oh well, they’re about 10 years old. Prob time to replace them anyways

Doug

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Crack 'em open and check for a broken/cold solder joint from the BNC center pin to the circuit board. I've had to redo that joint on my PRO-106 twice in the last eight years. It's a challenge but worth it to save a scanner.

ecps92

I've got one that is DEAF [need to be really close] on 900/800 and 700
and the 700 is off +/- 6.25 khz

VHF and UHF it is Super, so it remains my Primary FEDERAL and Cruise Ship radio

I assume you mean the receiver sensitivity is getting worse with time? Does this affect all bands? I have not read of this being a common complaint. I have several of the PSR 600s and one of the PRO-652 scanners and they have not experienced this problem.

Shawn

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am running one each of just about every GRE model scanner (see my tag line) including PSR-500 & PSR-600. Age of scanners vary from a couple of years to decades. I've not experienced this issue.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I have owned and used a handful of PSR-600/500 scanners and their RS siblings, and have never seen such an issue. Of course the only true test is to put multiple scanners on a multicoupler where the can share the same antenna, but if you have the same antenna on each one and they are near one another that should give a decent indication. Are you using the same antenna for testing one scanner against another? Short of a bad connection to the BNC jack, I have my doubts that one of those units will randomly go deaf after years of good service, but anything is possible.

batdude

I have owned and used a handful of PSR-600/500 scanners and their RS siblings, and have never seen such an issue. Of course the only true test is to put multiple scanners on a multicoupler where the can share the same antenna, but if you have the same antenna on each one and they are near one another that should give a decent indication. Are you using the same antenna for testing one scanner against another? Short of a bad connection to the BNC jack, I have my doubts that one of those units will randomly go deaf after years of good service, but anything is possible.

that's a valid question. they're all on a multicoupler sharing the same antenna. there is a significant disparity between the two radios... so i'm using one of the "more deaf" ones on 700/800 - where it seems to work just fine since the base is <4 miles away....

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have had a couple of multicouplers fail on me. For me it is obvious because multiple radios simultaneously go deaf (but not completely quiet).

Status
Not open for further replies.