Gre Psr255

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonJ

Hi people, I just a bought a gre psr255 scanner for £25. I am new to scanning and thought I was going to be over the moon when I bought a multiband radio, well I wasnt. So I thought that I would buy a proper scanner. Does anyone have any info or know anything I should know about my new scanner. Cheers people. SimonJ

KE5BCP

Analog Man
SimonJ said:
Hi people, I just a bought a gre psr255 scanner for £25. I am new to scanning and thought I was going to be over the moon when I bought a multiband radio, well I wasnt. So I thought that I would buy a proper scanner. Does anyone have any info or know anything I should know about my new scanner. Cheers people. SimonJ
Hi Simon, welcome to the site.

Your radio appears to be tailored to those in the UK, so hopefully someone from there will chime in and be able to give you more details.

I did however find some specs at http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/gre_psr-255.htm.

Enjoy your new radio!

DonS

AlabamaRS said:
psr255??. no such Item as far as I know??
It's a relatively basic 50-channel, non-trunking scanner that goes up to 512 MHz. No alpha tags, CTCSS/DCS, etc.

Looks like it's primarily sold in the UK.

Jakemcgraw

SimonJ said:
HI, just wanted to mention in case you are interested, for not a great deal of money difference , You can get the Gre Psr-295 new off ebay,,Its non-trunking but is CT and DC tone capable,,1000 channels,,alfa-tags and a few other features............. Les.

SimonJ

Hi all, Thanks for so many replies so quickly, This scanner I bought was only cheap, £25. I bought it because I have a multiband radio and wanted something a little more.... can I say sophisticated? I have looked at the stats, It seems like its not the worst in the world, it goes upto 512Mhz. I am a beginner to this so didnt want to spend alot yet. Does anyone think that it may have any uses because the last thing I want to do is have to sell it the day it arrives lol.

Jakemcgraw

SimonJ said:
Hi all, Thanks for so many replies so quickly, This scanner I bought was only cheap, £25. I bought it because I have a multiband radio and wanted something a little more.... can I say sophisticated? I have looked at the stats, It seems like its not the worst in the world, it goes upto 512Mhz. I am a beginner to this so didnt want to spend alot yet. Does anyone think that it may have any uses because the last thing I want to do is have to sell it the day it arrives lol.
HI, yes good for a beginner,,I only mentioned the Gre Psr-295,,above in my other post because for not alot more, you could grow a little more with it as you go,,,,Their are different sellers on ebay selling the 295 for quite high prices, but i got mine from ebay user: suenr for $99 plus shipping, to the U.S. here..Just depends on your needs and what features you want, the Psr-295 is not hard to use, and has a very well written manual of 40 pages...lots more fequency range coverage,,much more channels,,a nice orange backlight,,and so on.....just something to think about,,and what might meet your needs,,I love mine..works very well...Happy Scanning ......... Les

SimonJ

Hey Les. I know you was only trying to help;)..... Can someone explain what trunking means. Really am a novice you know. lol. Also dc and ct, i have no idea about this, any laymans here....Plus as soon as my new radio gets here i will let anyone who is interested in what its like and MAYBE?? someone could help me out with getting the best out of it. Thanks all for the replies. Simon

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
SimonJ said:
Hey Les. I know you was only trying to help..... Can someone explain what trunking means. Really am a novice you know. lol. Also dc and ct, i have no idea about this, any laymans here....Plus as soon as my new radio gets here i will let anyone who is interested in what its like and MAYBE?? someone could help me out with getting the best out of it. Thanks all for the replies. Simon

Trunking is a radio system that uses multiple radio frequencies to better use the available spectrum, so instead of 5 separate channels in a conventional radio system, you can have 100 or 500 talkgroups (TG) that can give great amounts of flexibility but you still can only have so many conversations going on at a time (because of the available voice frequencies)

DC and CT are how some scanners show DCS and CTCSS tones, they are usually used to keep out unwanted interference.

The wiki usually has some good info on scanner/radio related topics.

Trunking
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

DC is usually known as DPL (digital private line) or DCS (Digital Code Squelch)
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/DCS

CT is usually CTCSS (Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System) or also called a PL (Private Line)
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/CTCSS

SimonJ

Hi all, just lookin at my radio stats and it says that it only picks up nfm frequencies, could someone help me with what this means(i know it stands for narrow band fm) and what i might be able to pick up, currently on my famous airband radio i can get fire engines and aeroplanes and taxis very slightly, on the side it has a switch which can be.....C.B, TV1 AIR and WB. But there is not much on these frequencies and never anything on the c.b channels. Any help would be great

SimonJ

Hi CStarr59, well its not that bad I suppose. I have picked up most of the taxi's in my area, what I think is the fire service but I wouldnt like to say for sure;).....people on their c.b and like churches with wireless mic systems(and cordless phones, but I DIDN'T listen). I am going on holiday in a few weeks so when I get back I'm going to look at a few scanners and maybe get one that covers more frequencies and more bands. Its very easy to use and I was surprised because I have never used one before. But some frequencies only have silent static, do you know what this could be. Or does anyone know what this could be. The arieal I have on the scanner is a bnc connection type and its one that extends like the one on your small radio. The one that Les reccomends sounds like its exactly what i'm looking for. Can you tell me about nfm if you get a minute, thats the only frequency it operates with. Cheers Simon

SimonJ

Hey everyone, the squelch has stopped working properly on my scanner. Does anyone know why this could be? I have to turn it all the way up and still sometimes it doesnt work....Thanks again. Simon

Jakemcgraw

Hey everyone, the squelch has stopped working properly on my scanner. Does anyone know why this could be? I have to turn it all the way up and still sometimes it doesnt work....Thanks again. Simon
Sounds like a bad squelch pot on the unit. I would return it if their is a return policy.

SimonJ

Hi jake, there is a return policy for 14 days after purchase. Its about 2-3 days away from the 14 day period, I have emailed the seller as to what can be done. I should still be o.k though yeah, i bought it off ebay.....

Bongman_uk

Hi all

Im new to these forums. Sorry for resurrecting this post, I thought it was more relevant than starting a new one. I hope you've managed to sort out your squelch, SimonJ.

I also own a GRE PSR-255. Bought from Maplin a few years back when it was on sale (also £25 i think).

Its in perfect condition I mainly use it inside the house on a power supply I bought.

However, I was very disappointed. I cant seem to pick up much with it. I have, however managed to pick up a few cordless phones, baby monitors, taxis, security staff and also some amateur radio 'repeaters'?

This sounds quite successful, but these were very few and far between. Most are also illegal to listen to in the UK. :(

I was just wondering if there is anything more that I could do, with a bit of your expertise?
A firmware upgrade?
Even some careful 'modification'!?

Thanks

Bongman

Status
Not open for further replies.