GRE Scanner Repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I have a PSR-800 that I want repaired. I got the impression GRE America is no more and there is currently no factory repair service? If so, what are the alternatives?

73 Eric

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I could suggest, is to Contact "Whistler" since they acquired all of the GRE technology.

Hopefully, they can, and will, offer repairs on GRE equipment.

They may not be ready to do that yet... but maybe once they get up and running.

Please let us know what they tell you.

Regards

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
I had my 800 repaired at G & G Communications and I was happy with service & price. Contact Gerry@gcomradio.com
Phone is 585-768-8151 and they are located in Leroy N.Y.

Lew

Gre Repair

I had G&G repair my 800. Repaired BNC connector and loose USB port Good price/Good service. Gerry was very easy to deal with.

Lew Jernigan
US Secret Service (Retired)

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Loss of Service Fear

Thanks for providing the information regarding where to get GRE radios repaired. I have been wondering what will happen when the BNC module in my PSR 500 goes south like it has on several occasions.

I don't know if Whistler will be setting up a service center for old GRE radios such as the 500 & 800 models. When I've dealt with companies in the past, the focus seems to be on supporting their new line of radios. I don't know whether Whistler will continue to make the 800 or not. Hopefully, they will. Who knows? I've seen the new Phase II Uniden video, but I am GRE/Whistler man myself.

Let's hope that Whistler obtains more proprietary access than Uniden for systems out of our reach.

Last edited:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I sent off an email to Whistler, but I do not expect an answer until Monday. Thanks for the alternate repair sources.

73 Eric

ScannerSK

When I worked at RadioShack many years ago they would fix some equipment not sold by RadioShack. As these units are nearly identical to the units they do sell, I wonder if they are fixable through RadioShack (as long as parts remain available)?

Shawn

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I need the USB connector replaced. I can work around it, but it is a pain. I might be able to get a rework person at work to replace it, but I have to find out what connector is used.

I did not get a response from Whistler, so I sent another email. I do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this. I thought a product had to be supported for a period of time after it stops being manufactured. Maybe I am wrong, and Whistler can leave GRE owners out in the cold. I would be more upset if this was a warranty repair.

73 Eric

IowaGuy1603

I thought a product had to be supported for a period of time after it stops being manufactured. Maybe I am wrong, and Whistler can leave GRE owners out in the cold. I would be more upset if this was a warranty repair.

73 Eric

How would you expect a product to be "supported" by a company that no longer exists ?

AND NO, there is no such law that anything has to be supported PERIOD.

Whistler has barely bought the company and most likely hasn't gear up to do anything with the remains of GRE yet.

When they get their feet under them and the support system up and working with engineers and technicians I would expect them to start supporting products under the GRE label.........give them time to breathe

kb8rvp

Hello,

I need the USB connector replaced. I can work around it, but it is a pain. I might be able to get a rework person at work to replace it, but I have to find out what connector is used.

I did not get a response from Whistler, so I sent another email. I do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this. I thought a product had to be supported for a period of time after it stops being manufactured. Maybe I am wrong, and Whistler can leave GRE owners out in the cold. I would be more upset if this was a warranty repair.

73 Eric

Ok just checking. I have repaired two PSR800 BNC connectors that came loose and had to be resoldered and I have replaced the SMA connector on a homepatrol and was able to find the connector online but I have not had to replaced one on the PSR800. I would have to do some checking and find a replacement.

Mike

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I got a response from Whistler:

"At this point, it has yet to be determined if we will be able to repair GRE units. It is my assumption that in most cases we may not be able to. We purchased the intellectual properties. We probably will not have the parts to service them. You might check back in a month or so and we will hopefully have a bit more information."

Because Whistler's first scanners are likely clones of GRE ones, people are assuming Whistler will support GRE scanners. Whistler just bought the designs to make their own scanners. It might be possible to play the same game as with automotive parts and figure out the common parts between the two scanner lines.

I am glad I do not have to replace a custom part on mine.

73 Eric

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I find it encouraging that Whistler responded to the inquiry.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Man I am lucky so far that my GRE PSR 600 has been a work horse. I blew my power cord out when out of the country using a 220v to 110v convertor and blew the power supply on the charger. I thought I blew up the scanner. Close call. I ended up cutting the power cord wire so I could use the connector to the scanner and went to Radio Shack and bought a 15 bucks 110v to 12v power cord and spliced the wire together and off to the races with no trouble and it powers up fine. But that was an easy fix. If there is internal problems then I think we will be out of luck. It might be best just to lose it somewhere in the trash can and let it go and be done with it and look forward to the new units coming soon.

puzzleriddle

Hello,

I got a response from Whistler:

"At this point, it has yet to be determined if we will be able to repair GRE units. It is my assumption that in most cases we may not be able to. We purchased the intellectual properties. We probably will not have the parts to service them. You might check back in a month or so and we will hopefully have a bit more information."

Because Whistler's first scanners are likely clones of GRE ones, people are assuming Whistler will support GRE scanners. Whistler just bought the designs to make their own scanners. It might be possible to play the same game as with automotive parts and figure out the common parts between the two scanner lines.

I am glad I do not have to replace a custom part on mine.

73 Eric
this message may needto be stickied??

Status
Not open for further replies.