GRE / Uniden / Icom and Kenwood Sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have measured the sensitivity of some of the more popular scanners / receivers on the market today. Please see attached document.
The most sensitive radio for each frequency is highlighted.

Scanners Tested .. GRE PSR800, GRE PSR500, Uniden BCD396XT,Icom IC-R20, Kenwood F-6A,Kenwood TH-D72

Enjoy ...

Attachments

• Scanners.doc
    46 KB · Views: 426

nanZor

Interesting - shows that the GRE PSR500 / RS Pro-106 is not ideal for milair as compared to the rest.

It would be interesting to run the test again for the 220 mhz amateur band. My PSR500 seems waaaay down in sensitivity for that band, whereas the 396XT has no problem there. And, I could swear that there is some major loss of sensitivity for the typical 462.xxx / 467.xxx business / gmrs / frs ranges as well, which was surprising.

Thanks for taking those measurements!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I could be wrong here, but somewhere in the recesses of my memory, someone found out that putting a FM trap in front of these 2 radios results in an improvement in the milair receive department.

I might buy that - the Japanese FM band ends up around 90 mhz or so, and that's the low end of the band for the US (and I think there are power restrictions in that part of the band...). If there's any kind of filtering that blocks the 76-90 mhz range (which I'm pretty sure is the Japanese version of FM broadcast), then I can understand why FM broadcast could be such a problem for US listeners that use these radios.

best regards...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.