Great Lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

chgomonitor

Silent Key
Lake Michigan Chicago

I enjoy two "monitoring posts".

2300-0700 Hrs I'm sometimes monitoring from work (dispatcher). Uniden BC-780 with a 100 foot RG8 coax run to a Radio Shack 20-176 scanner antenna mounted atop our second story roof. But it's a great location for southern Lake Michigan monitoring as I'm right on a high ridge (Green Bay Road) about a mile west of the western lakeshore, line of sight to lake. From here I can hear boats and ships almost all the way across the southern end of the lake. While there is not a lot of traffic in the middle of the night I sometimes catch ore frieghters coming and going out of the Indiana mills, or USCG searches and training. The latter meshes well with my work function and I often find myself doing informal coordination with local agencies. Lots of charter and private fishing vessels out early weekend mornings and tons of related chatter. There's a couple of private piers ($$$) in these parts and one or two even have fixed licenses for coastal stations. rarely active, but there. Chicago special events often bring rushes of returning or en-route traffic.

My village operates a local boat launch facility and I've been pondering on the possibilities of configuring some sort of marine coastal fixed base station / license. We'll see... I can only imagine what I could do from here with a dedicated marine base two-way and a gain antenna.

I have about a thousand higher priority tasks at work here but I monitor when I can. Sadly, the village blocks most of my web access so I can't look stuff up on boatnerd, etc. Nice thing is I have a surveillance camera with a view of the lake so I can sometimes spot what I'm hearing, remotely. Pretty cool and works well even at night.

0700-2300 Hrs I'm monitoring from home on low ground with a 30 foot mast and discone from out in the Des Plaines River valley, a good 15 miles west of the lake. No line of sight. Still, I can sometimes catch some ship traffic from vessels with good radios and very high mast mounted antennas. Rare, but there.

The Coast Guard here transmits from a variety of high power bases at fixed locations, so no problem hearing those, even with a handheld. Milwaukee transmits from either their base home or from a remote site high atop Sears Tower. USCG Aux comm at Wilmette Harbor has a new tower, so I'm told.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Sector Lake Michigan (formerly known as Group Milwaukee) uses a high site located in Milwaukee right next to the base or the Sears Tower high site. I work with a former USCG comms officer who was stationed on both sides of Lake Michigan, so he is very familiar with activities on the "pond".

Like yourself, we both listen to marine traffic from our comm center, although we are located inland about 25 miles from the lake.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Besides the standard marine VHF frequencies what should I listen to for Lake Ontario. I'm on the 21st floor of a building that is right on the lake in downtown Toronto. On a good day I can see the smoke stacks across the lake in NY. I use a variety of duckies, as well as some mag mount antennas on some metal disks. Mostly I listen to City Police Marine unit on 800mhz Motorola System as well as VHF Marine. Never heard anything on the various Mil Air frequencies I've monitored.

My main listening post is at Block House Island, Brockville, Ontario where you can get a very good view of all the freighters and pleasure boats passing by.
This summer there was alot of traffic on almost all of the marine channels during my visits and I made afew trips to the Iroquois lock and did some laker watching.
This section of the St. Lawrence River is great for alot of marine activity and stunning scenery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.