Greater Richmond, VA 172.1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
172.15 uses NAC 0B5 and encrypted. Seen while east of the city on I-64/I-295. Who?

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
TSA = Transportation Security Administration. Usually found on 169.3000, 172.1500 and 172.9000 nationwide, as well as other low-power simplex channels at airports.

- Chris

ecps92

As CP mentioned, likely TSA (altho the Freq is shared with other agencies), other areas we are seeing NEW NAC's for TSA - no idea what's up right now with these changes
172.15 uses NAC 0B5 and encrypted. Seen while east of the city on I-64/I-295. Who?

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
As CP mentioned, likely TSA, other areas we are seeing NEW NAC's for TSA - no idea what's up right now with these changes

I was aware they often used that frequency elsewhere but had never seen that NAC.

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
172.150 NAC 238 has started showing up in central Ky.

As CP mentioned, likely TSA (altho the Freq is shared with other agencies), other areas we are seeing NEW NAC's for TSA - no idea what's up right now with these changes

JASII

Memory Capacity
This may be a ChrisP question, but anybody here is welcome to reply. Around the whole country, is TSA encrypted more often, in the clear more often, or might it even actually vary shift by shift or week by week at the various airports around the United States?

ecps92

Keep in mind other agencies (outside of TSA) have been assigned this freq.
And you have an agency in KY already using $238, so it could be them.

Access to watching the Radio ID's might help with the ID
172.150 NAC 238 has started showing up in central Ky.

ecps92

My bad, double checked my notes and the other $238 is not KY....sorry it was CA
Opps :( into the corner I go

Keep in mind other agencies (outside of TSA) have been assigned this freq.
And you have an agency in KY already using $238, so it could be them.

Access to watching the Radio ID's might help with the ID

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
This may be a ChrisP question, but anybody here is welcome to reply. Around the whole country, is TSA encrypted more often, in the clear more often, or might it even actually vary shift by shift or week by week at the various airports around the United States?

Initially it appeared that more and more of the TSA operations were going encrypted, and part of the reason was the new radios being deployed with a more coordinated effort at nationwide encryption key management. The first wave of new TSA radios seemed to be encrypted full time and we were told this was to be the new normal. However, as the changes with the hardware started showing up in carious regions, the encryption was found not to be used 100% of the time, in some areas.

As was in the past, the TSA uses the secure mode more in some locations than others. As we always say, your milage may vary, so it's not possible to guarantee they will be clear or not at any given time.

And as a side note, the 169.3, 172.15 and 172.9 frequencies were, and still are, assigned to the FAA nationwide. I have heard them using them at the Atlantic City, NJ Tech Center in analog. The TSA was first formed and was part of the FAA when they first became a government agency...

- Chris

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
As for the new NACs, they don't seem to be duplicating them much. No longer using just N001, N002, etc. I've seen radically different NACs at various airport locations. I haven't determined if there is a pattern to different TSA regions having different NACs assigned, but as the new NACs get logged, maybe something will become apparent.

- Chris

spacellamaman

That radio ID falls in the known TSA radio ID range I've logged, just FYI.

- Chris

Ah good, I was hoping you might know something. I had checked your list and hadn't seen anything right off the bat, but I easily skim past stuff too. That was what i figured but appreciate confirmation. this is why i have many frequencies left as CSQ instead of with a reported squelch code so i don't miss something. which with the pro-668 is frustrating if you aren't there to watch it cause it doesnt record that if its a scan list. got a number or weird ones lately that due to that i haven't a clue what they are. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.