GRECOM PSR-800 Paid Programming Software

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it, the GRECOM EZ Scan software isn't receiving any more RR database updates..it is what it is. Does anyone know if there is some paid software out there that works with this scanner? No, I don't wish to send my unit in to Whistler for the paid upgrade. Thank you.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You can send the PSR800 back to Whistler get the Official UPGRADE and use the supported Software.
The Radio Shack PRO-18 and 668 software do not update the database either without the OFFICIAL UPGRADE

tvengr

Well Known Member
You are willing to pay for software but not for the upgrade. Why not pay for the upgrade and use free software? You get DMR and improved performance to boot.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I may be wrong, but I thought you could take the db files from the Whistler Group website and dump them into EZ Scan. Or am I misremembering?
As I understand it, the GRECOM EZ Scan software isn't receiving any more RR database updates..

As @KevinC said, Whistler download page makes the DB files available for older versions of EZ Scan. Just find your DB folder on your computer and replace the DB files in there with the new DB files.

This was discussed and explained here:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
In addition to what has already been mentioned, The legacy upgrade gives you get DOZENS of firmware fixes the PSR-800 never received, you get dozen of fixes that ezscan for the PSR-800 never received and you get FUTURE upgrades to both and the simplicity of updating the library via ezscan.

tvengr

Well Known Member
In addition to what has already been mentioned, The legacy upgrade gives you get DOZENS of firmware fixes the PSR-800 never received, you get dozen of fixes that ezscan for the PSR-800 never received and you get FUTURE upgrades to both and the simplicity of updating the library via ezscan.
Not to mention that the upgrade makes your scanner eligible to be repaired by Whistler if ever needed.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Does the splash screen change to say Whistler instead of GRECOM if you do the upgrade? Can you change it back?

CycleSycho

Does the splash screen change to say Whistler instead of GRECOM if you do the upgrade? Can you change it back?

:) IF you mean the scanner startup screen, you can change that to whatever you want in the EZ-Scan software. Your faceplate/case is the only thing that shows the GRE radio logo/information. However, I do not believe you can reverse the upgrade BUT why would you want to revert back to a GRE radio, I would not even guess why. :)

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
:) IF you mean the scanner startup screen, you can change that to whatever you want in the EZ-Scan software. Your faceplate/case is the only thing that shows the GRE radio logo/information. However, I do not believe you can reverse the upgrade BUT why would you want to revert back to a GRE radio, I would not even guess why. :)

Sentimentality since GRECOM doesn't exist anymore. I have other scanners to listen to *trunked* DMR. So this paid upgrade doesn't really matter to me, especially since it is non-trunked DMR.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Sentimentality since GRECOM doesn't exist anymore. I have other scanners to listen to *trunked* DMR. So this paid upgrade doesn't really matter to me, especially since it is non-trunked DMR.
I was like you, especially since mine was an extremely low S/N (001005). But the voice quality of DMR of GRE-based scanners vs Uniden outweighed my soft side and I had it upgraded.