Greeneville TN 70cm Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

2guntom

Anyone listen to or use 70cm repeaters in Greeneville/Greene County?

Q1) There is one on 441.850. I've never gotten the story on that one. It works great! But, who's is it? And, it's down right now. Anybody got any info at all?

Q2) There is one on 444.750. It's located kinda' in the middle of everything on Bartons Ridge Rd. Is it down? Are there plans to bring it back online?

Q3) There is one on 444.950. Is it down? Is it coming back up?

Q4) I have one in my logs at 443.550. Is that Greeneville/Greene County? Is it up? Down?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Where exactly? What state?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

AK9R

Super Moderator
Since you are asking questions about repeaters in a localized area, I think you'll have better luck getting answers by asking in a local forum. On-line communities, such as this forum, eHam.net, and QRZ.com, have a world-wide or nation-wide focus. But, you need local information. I think you'll have better luck by asking your questions of local hams in the area of these repeaters. Yes, the Tennessee forum here at RadioReference is a start. But, I think you'll get better results if you attend a local amateur radio club meeting or check into a local net to get to know the local hams.

2guntom

Agreed.
In the past at radioreference, I've had a few responses that led to answers...

My goal in asking these questions is to program my radios. My father passed away in November and I am trying to assist my mother with the farm. My goal is to have radios that will cover the grounds. With the rolling hills, rocks and terrain FRS radios don't quite do it.

I have been inactive as a ham and all my gear was mothballed. I've resurrected what I could, and that seemed to be 70cm in abundance. All of my frequency lists are outdated and every list I've found online is also outdated and/or incomplete.

My scanning has produced all kinds of frequencies with pl tones, but all of the online data doesn't give a clue where these repeaters are at. And, I'm monitoring at the North end of the county; the farm is at the South end of the county. With the NE TN terrain, that means 2 entirely different radio "zones".

For now, I know the 444.650 works. I need to see how well it works with HT's in the valleys.
There is a 443.200 that works too. It is a club repeater so I may need to try to figure out when and where club meeting are at. If either of those suit my needs then I guess I'm okay.

It's just that there were other frequencies in that area that used to work... and there was an awesome repeater that worked EVERYWHERE on 441.850. I don't know what happened. It worked a couple weeks ago...

Then there's the 444.200. I thought it was down, but later discovered the pl tone had change (and this is not in ANY list ANYWHERE). It is now using a tone of 118.8.

Hopefully someone will see this thread and have some good intel. I've joined eham and posted some comments in the local Facebook groups looking for info.

AK9R

Super Moderator
The amateur radio repeaters in Tennessee are coordinated by the SouthEastern Repeater Association. SERA does not post their database of coordinated repeaters on the web. However, contact information for the SERA Tennessee district directors and frequency coordinators is available on-line. You might drop them an email to see what they can tell you.

The SouthEastern Repeater Association, Inc. :: SERA Districts

2guntom

Hadn't thought of that; that's a good idea. I'll definitely send them an email.

The message I sent in the Greeneville Facebook group put me right in contact with the local ham radio club. I'll check 'em out next Tuesday.

On my drive to the farm today, I brought an ht. Some of the repeaters I thought were dead are alive, but their range stinks. Some of the repeaters I thought were alive are only kirchunkers- they're not rebroadcasting anything.

I'm compiling a list...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Ah, all kinds of good stuff...

This is about the most accurate list I could find AND they have apple and android apps too
:: RepeaterBook.com :: Amateur Radio Repeater Directory

The local ham facebook group got me all kinds of info and history.

A compiled list of my findings ( a work in progress )
2guntom's Links: 440 (70cm) Ham Radio in Greeneville/Greene County TN

The only drawback to Repeaterbook, is that the accuracy of the database is dependant on the submissions by the users. Some areas are really good, some are hit or miss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Why don't you just scan, and then investigate the repeaters that you actually hear on the band? That would eliminate "paper" repeaters, database errors, and oversights. It would have the added benefit of showing you what's actually active and on the air.

2guntom

The only drawback to Repeaterbook, is that the accuracy of the database is dependant on the submissions by the users. Some areas are really good, some are hit or miss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not 100% by any stretch, but it is more accurate than any other listing I've found. All the other lists are soooooooo out of date, including the Radio Reference list.

2guntom

Why don't you just scan, and then investigate the repeaters that you actually hear on the band? That would eliminate "paper" repeaters, database errors, and oversights. It would have the added benefit of showing you what's actually active and on the air.

I thought I said that in post #10 http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-general-discussion/280773-greeneville-tn-70cm-repeaters.html#post2096375

I'm comparing my old lists, all the other lists, and scanning to see what's floating around in the airwaves. Then seeing what works, what doesn't work, what seems to work but doesn't...

The best suggestion was to get in touch with local hams; that has produced a bunch of useful info. But, one of the repeaters that has been decommissioned "for years", well, I'm picking up a repeater on that frequency. Don't know where it's at, can't raise it with my radios, but I hear it every now and again. The info is that the repeater has been down for years and the site is abandoned. The mountain that it used to be on is less than 10 miles from me. The ham call associated with it has an address on the same mountain. I scanned over satellite images last night trying to find a tower or anything, but came up empty handed.

It's turning into quite the treasure hunt.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I thought I said that in post #10

By golly, you did!

I just didn't see it. I'm not always as alert at night after work as I'd like to think I am.

I'm comparing my old lists, all the other lists, and scanning to see what's floating around in the airwaves. Then seeing what works, what doesn't work, what seems to work but doesn't...

One thing you'll find is that any repeater directory will, at best, be full of holes and inaccuracies or, at worst, be completely and utterly useless.

...But, one of the repeaters that has been decommissioned "for years", well, I'm picking up a repeater on that frequency. Don't know where it's at, can't raise it with my radios, but I hear it every now and again.

There's a good possibility that what you're hearing is either someone squatting on the abandoned channel, or the local frequency coordinator has assigned the channel to someone else. Repeater coordinations aren't always made public. That seems to be a local preference. Here in California, for example, UHF coordinations are private, unless the coordinee wants the data published. This produces the result of databases showing huge gaps in activity, when the reality is every channel is coordinated several times over.

I don't know how it is in your area, but it's likely the same.

It's turning into quite the treasure hunt.

It can be. It's probably not reasonable to expect that you'll uncover everything out there. Databases and repeater lists are notoriously inaccurate. Frequency coordinators are loath to publish frequencies for private repeaters, of which there are lots of on 70cm. Activity can be low enough that unless you're in the right place at the right time, you can miss what activity is actually there.

I guess what you have to ask yourself is, to what end are you trying to list repeaters? Are you trying to compile an accurate list of who/what is out there, or are you looking for a home to your 70cm activity? An accurate list is probably an exercise in futility. There are just too many reasons why the data won't just fall into your lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.