Groiunding Block or NO Grounding block...that is the Poll?

Are your using a grounding block on your scanner coax??

• Yes

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 71.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kibbins

Very simple question....and this implies in no way any endorsement for any grounding methods (or lack thereof). I am also NOT talking about grounding an antenna mast....this is specifically a question about a grounding block in-line on your coax between an outdoor antenna and your scanner. Please do not quote or link to articles citing recommended grounding procedures....I have read most of this. This is simply an anonymous poll asking if you ARE or ARE NOT using a grounding block on your outdoor antenna. I think the results will be interesting...

Are you using a grouding block on your scanner coax or not ???????????

kibbins

Wow...94 views and only 21 votes. Do that many people NOT use outdoor antenna or are people not voting for some other reason.....well please keep on voting....VERY interesting so far.

mjthomas59

I can't really say what is considered "general theory" in this matter, but i honestly doubt that any form of grounding is going to save your equipment in the event of a direct hit. Even "close" or "nearby" lightening strikes are more than likely going to toast your stuff anyway.

If i had a large mast or tower i'm sure i would think a little bit differently, but having a discone mounted on my chimney just doesn't seem to trigger the "i really need to have that or all heck is going to break loose" feeling.

Good poll though, i'd be interested to see where the totals end up after more than just a few votes.

kibbins

Thanks...yes I don't want to open up the debate. There are hundreds of threads on lighning, static, and grounding already. I'm looking forward to how the pole comes out over time.

grem467

mjthomas59 said:
i honestly doubt that any form of grounding is going to save your equipment in the event of a direct hit. Even "close" or "nearby" lightening strikes are more than likely going to toast your stuff anyway.

our radio system takes numerous DIRECT strikes and besides having to clear "lightning detect" alerts and replace the occasional antenna, its usually a very minor incident. Its all about R56.

Of course very few consumer installations be it satellite, ham, scanner or whatnot are as stringent as R56 is regarding grounding etc.

kibbins

grem467 said:
our radio system takes numerous DIRECT strikes and besides having to clear "lightning detect" alerts and replace the occasional antenna, its usually a very minor incident. Its all about R56.

Of course very few consumer installations be it satellite, ham, scanner or whatnot are as stringent as R56 is regarding grounding etc.

I take it thats a YES vote...

kibbins

unpltd said:
For under ten bucks why not...

Voted yes...

I think for $10 you assume everyone is F-type cable-TV grounding blocks. Many people use N-type or other connectors and in-line lightning protection can be considerably more expensive, especially for multiple antenna. I think the other argument for not using a grounding block would be signal loss. Not trying to start any debate...just pointing out why $10 is not necessarily accurate and cost is not necessarily the sole reason.

By the way did you vote yes because you use grounding blocks or WOULD use grounding blocks?

Last edited:

unpltd

kibbins said:
I think for $10 you assume everyone is F-type cable-TV grounding blocks. Many people use N-type or other connectors and in-line lightning protection can be xonsiderably mor expensive, especially for multiple antenna. I think the other argument for not using a grounding block would be signal loss. Not trying to start any debate...just pointing out why $10 is not necessarily accurate and cost is not necessarily the sole reason.

By the way did you vote yes because you use grounding blocks or WOULD use grounding blocks?

I'm not assuming anything. But ya I meant F-type for others building on a small budget.
I'll take the little protection over losing a couple of km in RX.

That’s just me though.

Then again if your getting into more expensive setups again why wouldn't you? You lose what maybe a db for some added protection.

But feel free to set me strait because I'm just a noob at this and I'm always up for learning.

Oh and yes my two runs of coax (RG6) are grounded outside with an F type grounding block before they come inside.

kibbins

I'm not really trying to debate it here....search around there are tons of threads debating this. I just wanted to see who was and was not using them. We debate it but I wanted to see how that translates into actual use.

kf4lhp

My $0.02...

- The grounding blocks (well, one grounding block for the scanner antenna and a lighting arrester for the ham antenna) is there just to bleed off any static charge that might build up. I know it won't do a thing against a direct strike.

- Our station's tower is very well grounded as is all of the equipment in the transmitter building. It's a wonderful lightning rod but it keeps on working just fine - even the computers and microprocessor controls on the DTV transmitter. So grounding must do something.

Raccon

kibbins said:
Wow...94 views and only 21 votes. Do that many people NOT use outdoor antenna or are people not voting for some other reason.....well please keep on voting....VERY interesting so far.
Considered that not everyone has a scanner and that there is no "I don't have a scanner so it therefore makes no sense to vote" option? ;)

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Raccon said:
Considered that not everyone has a scanner and that there is no "I don't have a scanner so it therefore makes no sense to vote" option? ;)

Surely you are kidding....

Status
Not open for further replies.