• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ground plane on car with sun roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowWalker

I tried installing CB in my wife's car that has a sun roof. Of course the SWR reading was a nightmare. What would it take to keep the antenna on a car's roof that has a sun roof?

TenSleep440

I never had an issue with my wife’s car and her sunroof, antenna was mounted more towards the center of the roof behind the sunroof.

SnowWalker

My wife's car is a Hyundai Accent model, so the roof does not encompass a whole lot of metal surrounding the antenna.

cmdrwill

My wife's car is a Hyundai Accent model, so the roof does not encompass a whole lot of metal surrounding the antenna.

You are kinda screwed, not enough metal for a ground plane at 27 mHz.

The commercial NMO27 may work on a mag mount. Another idea, NMO27 on a 'hood' mount.
The NMO27 seem to work better in poor or lack of groundplane, the other half of the antenna, applications.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You will never get a perfect ground plane on a passenger vehicle.
Especially on a car that small. Add in a sun roof, and you are stacking the deck against yourself.

But having a good antenna makes a difference. I've put a lot of Larsen NMO-27's on pickups and SUV's and had excellent results, even with less than ideal ground planes. Never had an issue getting them right down to 1.1:1 SWR on the center of the CB band, with about 1.3:1 on channel 1 and 40.

lmrtek

The shorter the antenna the worse they are for performance and match.
All antennas that rely on a 1\4 wave GP in all directions will be a compromise in performance.
A base loaded 1\4 wave antenna like a K40 would be best

Rred

Hyundai calls it a sunroof, yes. But that's a glass panel, which is what Lincoln Mercury trademarked as a MOONROOF and properly that is still called a moonroof. A sunroof would be less of a problem, as the metal is still capacitively coupled to the rest of the roof. With a glass MOONroof, it simply isn't going to be counterpoise.

What you've got, if you try different locations on the metal aft of the moonroof, is that the A, B, and C pillars will be your effective ground radials connected down to the body of the car. Sometimes a difference of a few inches makes a big SWR difference. Sometimes, the antenna setup or the way you're using the SWR meter is an issue. If it is all unacceptable, look for a "no ground plane" antenna for the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.