Grundig alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycnewbee

Recently I attempted to purchase a grundig 450dlx and ended up with to 2 bad products, 1 had a bad screen and the 2nd was all scratched up. I gave up on the 450 and thought I would have better luck with a grundig 750. After reading more reviews it seems quality control is a huge issue for the Grundig line and the 750 is made very cheaply. Is there any alternatives in that price range? I'd like a larger radio that can sit on desk.

Thanks

mainetrunk

Money says it all. My Grundig is in MINT condition with great reception. I see an item, put a price on it in my head, add 50--$100.00 and I get the dealer price. If you want something awesome, I'd breakout the checkbook. FYI--I paid $130.00 at Radio Shack for mine-with warantee. With the functions it has, thats a prime example.. I'd pay $50.00 for this radio. They jack it up from there. Best of luck, there are MANY in E-Bay. I just got an Alinco from there--not bad.. Good luck

mainetrunk

There are many receivers out there---if you wanna see 1 at work, go to you tube. They got all radios there--that I know of. Maybe a classic radio, shop before you spend..

nycnewbee

It just seems like you have to spend A LOT of money before you get something good and new. Or stick to the portable category.... Or grundig 750

nycnewbee

Thanks! Seems every review for a Grundig or Kaito seem so mixed. It's iffy on if any of is worth it. I have a Tecsun 660 but would love something larger.

majoco

Stirrer
Grundig is living on it's historical reputation to keep prices up. It's no better than any of the other Chinese made gear on the market.

nycnewbee

My Tecsuns seem tighter and made better and they are supposed to be the same company right?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No I think Tecsun is owned by a different firm, not Grundig/Eton...

Anyway at that price range, if you're looking for something on your desk, you could consider a software defined radio. The AFEDRI SDR seems to be getting good reviews, for example, and it's about USD260 or so (I'm unsure of the current exchange rate, but it should be somewhat close).

If you're interested, they're discussed here...

Software Defined Radio - The RadioReference.com Forums

and our wiki article is here...with links to many reviews and Yahoo groups devoted to specific SDRs

Software Defined Radios - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

nanZor

Actually, the Grundig 750 seems like a very close relative to the Tecsun S2000 radio. Grundig pulled the IQ output, whereas the 2000 originally had it.

Other than that, they are nearly identical.

SpectreOZ

Actually, the Grundig 750 seems like a very close relative to the Tecsun S2000 radio. Grundig pulled the IQ output, whereas the 2000 originally had it.

Other than that, they are nearly identical.

I believe the S2000 uses an internal AC adapter whereas the Eton/Grundig 750 requires an external AC adapter/supply but are otherwise reportedly using an identical chassis...

Was looking at one of these before I located a used R1000, reviews seem varied however.

nycnewbee

I picked up a Grundig 750. So far so good. Just trying to figure out my antenna situation. The S2000 is just about the same except for the power adapter and the grundig has a random storage compartment in the rear (power adapter won't fit) I assume it's good for a random wire antenna. or earbuds.

Last edited:

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
I picked up a Grundig 750. So far so good. Just trying to figure out my antenna situation. The S2000 is just about the same except for the power adapter and the grundig has a random storage compartment in the rear (power adapter won't fit) I assume it's good for a random wire antenna. or earbuds.

According to what I remember the manual stating, it's for "whatever you want to use it for"!

I did not want to pitch in with my 2 cents on your wanting the Satellit 750. I have had bad experiences with it but I am sure I was one of those who got that famous "bad batch" they had a couple years back. It was a 350. bad investment! That is why I am so leery of buying a digital scanner... all that money. The 750 I had broke right after the guarantee ran out, the very month. If you have one that is not a lemon you have a great radio. All the Satellit 750 videos of Shortwave logs on the Facebook shortwave radio listeners page is my radio. You can see my fat fingers in some of the videos. This was a couple years ago at least, when it still worked! To be honest I think the Kaito 1103 was a better radio over all. The 750 just looks beefier and more impressive with its size.

I have owned several radios from grundig. They were great quality radio;s, The last 2 was cheaply made, the back stand breaking of the grundig 8 traveler and the door off the front of the other radio. No more grundigs for me.

nycnewbee

grundig....

I had a gsorundig 350 for some years with no trouble then I personally broke it... All my fault. I tried to replace it with e 450dlx twice and both had bad LCDs. My G3 is working great and picks up less noise on airband then my Tecsun 660. So far my 750 seems good.

Status
Not open for further replies.