Grundig G3 Globe Traveler Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusDude

Premium Subscriber
I have a Grundig G3 Globe Traveler radio. When I listen to HF utility users in USB mode, I have to tune the frequency down 3 kHz from the listed frequency. Is this normal? Is there something I wasn't told about shortwave? Is there something wrong with my reciever, or is it just some kind of quirk?

Examples:

If I want to listen to the USAF GHFS on 11175, I have to tune to 11172.
If I want to listen to NY VOLMET on 10051, I have to tune to 10048.
If I want to listen to USCG SCN channel 424 on 4426, I have to tune to 4423.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Hello MarcusDude, we have a category of forums for shortwave. I have moved your post there. Please use them for all HF, SW, etc in the future. Thanks.

gpsblake

A quirk and not normal. I think you got a defective radio if this is the case. Here's a youtube video of VOLMET on usb on the correct frequency on a G3

8957 KHz Shannon Volmet - YouTube

Have you tried this on a AM transmission? Let's say 6090 at night, do you have to tune to 6087 to understand the voice on USB? Also curious about LSB, do you have to off-tune to hear LSB correctly?

I would also seem to logic that if your USB if off by 3khz, it would render the auto-sync function useless on that radio.

MarcusDude

Premium Subscriber
Yes, LSB is the same. I also have to tune down 3 kHz. I just figured that out today by monitoring some 80M Ham nets in my state (Wisconsin). There was one listed on 3967 LSB this morning, but I heard them on 3964. Oh well, it's not a big deal, I'll just make the necessary adjustments.

ab3a

In the following discussion, we assume a voice frequency bandwidth of 300 to 3000 Hz.

In ham radio communities, they document the frequency of the suppressed carrier for single sideband transmissions. So for example, I can transmit on 7.200 MHz, and my signal will occupy 7.1970 MHz to 7.1997 MHz. if I transmit lower sideband and 7.2003 to 7.2030 MHz were I to use upper sideband. Note: by convention, hams use lower sideband on the 7.0 -7.3 MHz band and below; and upper sideband, from 10 MHz and up. This standard came about because of the 9 MHz crystal filters that used to be commonplace in older radio designs.

In military applications, they use upper sideband everywhere, and the frequency is the center of emission. So assuming a voice transmission from 300 to 3000 Hz, they would document their frequencies about 1.5 kHz higher than the suppressed carrier frequency.

What you're reading seems like a firmware problem. From the reviews on eham.net, I think it is likely these radios have a quality control problem. Check with the manufacturer.

majoco

Stirrer
In military applications, they use upper sideband everywhere, and the frequency is the center of emission.

IMHO all the people on here who listen to 11175kHz would disagree with this statement. I have always dialled in the suppressed carrier frequency, military or otherwise, never the notional middle of the sideband.

Status
Not open for further replies.