Grundig G3 @ Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5EYR

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about the rest of the country; but, less than 10 minutes ago I snagged a G3 Globe Traveler at Radio Shack for $59.00. With another small item I purchased, I got free batteries to go in it as well. That's less than half what it usually costs. The sign said "close out". I don't know whether it was just this local store, or what. But, think what you will about a G3; $59.00 is just damn near a gimme. I haven't felt this lucky in awhile.

radiokatz

Great find! :)

Must be a regional thing. My local RS stores don't even stock that model, I just checked. Personally, I wish the Grundig Satellite 750 would go on sale, I've been wanting one for awhile.

I have the G6 Aviator which is very similar to the G3 you purchased - button layout is a little different. BTW, have you tried out the SSB mode on yours? Mine will pick up SSB but without a BFO the voices are mostly unintelligible. :(

KF5EYR

Premium Subscriber
Haven't had a chance yet. I had one once before and somebody stole it. I am going to wait until late this evening and give it a whirl. You are probably right about the regional thing. I went over there to get a power cable for a flat screen TV and possibly an active antenna for another radio. I started to leave and walked around the store and to my great surprise saw the sale. They had 3. I think the thing I remember about my previous one is that it was very hard on batteries. Had to constantly replace them. But, as I say; it's been a while since I stumbled onto a deal like that. I just couldn't pass it up. I had been looking at a Tecsun PL-660 on Amazon and if I got flush, a CommRadio CR-1. We'll see later this evening.

Amazon.com: Tecsun PL-660 Portable AM/FM/LW/Air Shortwave World Band Radio with Single Side Band, Black: Electronics

CommRadio CR1, Comm Radio CR-1 Communications Receiver, CommRadio CR-1

gpsblake

A couple other places were also clearing them out and Universal price on this radio has dropped. I bought one when they first came out and returned it because it just wasn't working right (synch detector problems, poor AM reception)

KD5SPJ

I went by my local Rad Shack just because of this thread. They DID have ONE more G3 in stock for 59, but it was marked at 69.95 and I had to ask if it was on sale from the marked sale price. It was, and at 59.00 even. I saw they also had a GS450DL on sale at 99.00 and asked if I could get a discount on it, he said he would do 10% off and a 10.00 discount which put it at 79.95 so I bought it instead! Nice radio will play tonight when I get home on my 50ft wire and after I set it all up.

KF5EYR

Premium Subscriber
I've tried mine out. I live in an apartment, and I strung a random long wire running about 20' in a north/south direction indoors. Plugged it in to the external antennae port. Crude, but; somewhat more effective than I thought. Picked up the Voice of Russia, last night. Radio Havana is no problem. Also caught one of the atomic time channels from Ft. Collins, Colorado. This one seems to be a better copy than my previous one. However, my QTH is different than before so that may play into it. I got to looking at my sales ticket, and; it appears that I actually only paid $54.95 plus the applicable 7.5% Arkansas sales tax. Then, the free batteries; to boot. So, it was definitely worth what I paid. I am going to try it with an indoor active loop, this weekend. According to Universal's website, it is their most popular portable shortwave. I haven't really been into shortwave for a number of years. But, for 60 bucks, basically; it was a steal.

KD5SPJ

I have decided that since I coincidentally sold one of my many vintage Cb radios tonight after getting home with the new Grundig 450, I am going to pick up that G3 tomorrow since I also got a 10 dollar off coupon from RS when I picked up the 450 today. SO, the G3 will cost mt 49.00. Just can't seem to pass it up for that! Plus it does two things I like to listen to that the 450 doesn't, AIR and SSB!

Attachments

• 298561_458627844230381_1681030627_n.jpg
    298561_458627844230381_1681030627_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,820
Last edited:

KD5SPJ

Picked up the G3 as well just now. Got it for 43.96 plus tax. Just couldn't pass it up since it was the last one in the store and on close out. I am curious to see if they are coming out with a new model to replace it with more features or is RS just getting out of uh.....radio again.

KD5SPJ

Wondered about that myself, given the demise of GRE.

Radio Shack has done that a few times in the past. I remember walking into one when they had at least ten different CB radios, and at least 6 different 2m and 10M radios IN STOCK at all locations! I also remember when they were closing them out. At that time they also had almost every electronic component you would ever need. CB of course went first, then all their HAm rigs were not more then five years later and were all gone.

They have really become a cel phone store. Right before that they TRIED to be a computer outlet but the net killed them on that price wise.

one of these days they will probably be all electronic toys.

KD5SPJ

One week review

Since I have had my Grundig G3 about a week now I have decided to do a little review. I will start by saying I didn't expect much from a small SW radio. I was pleasantly surprised at the nice feel of the unit. It feels substantial (as in heavy) for it's size. And has a somewhat tacky feel as in non skid, of the body and the buttons. I really like the way it feels. It is a NICE size that I feel is great. It isn't to small, and the buttons and such are laid out well and easy to remember. They provide a positive feel when pressed as well. Everything works well and is easy to get used to enough so you don't have to have them back lit although that would be a very nice feature.

The sound from it for its size is also very good. And if you use a set of earbuds or good headphones, it is excellent. Its really pretty much excellent from the built in speaker. I love using it for casual scanning of the bands since it scans fast enough and hits good stations pretty well. I also tried an external antenna from laying on my couch last night after a thunderstorm and caught a ton of stations. Radio Havana was booming in on three frequencies, and a lot of other stations came in very well. I am located in the Manzano Mountains outside Albuquerque NM.

I like the display, it shows needed information and not full of fluff. I do wish there was a button to turn on the backlight without doing anything else. I also wish there was a backlighted key feature so all the buttons were lit if wanted. Makes operating at night or in low light situations more easy.

All in all I am VERY impressed with this radio for not only its cost and size but for its overall quality. Maybe this is because I have never owned any other small SW radios but I find it to be an excellent choice for its cost and size and it is feature rich for both.

KEV200

Like my G3 also, good little receiver for the money. Only drawback I've found is sensitivity drops way off above 20 mhz but 99% of my listening is at night so I hardly ever tune up that high.

KD5SPJ

How is it on the MW band?

For me I would say really good. I am about 35miles from Albuquerque and a standard radio will not get the BC AM stations at night worth a darn. The lower power ones that is, but this radio gets them well on either the internal antenna, or the external 50ft ling wire. However, I have to be outside for the internal antenna to work for that since I live in a Faraday cage (trailer) on my 10 acre mountain ranch....

Boombox

Cool. Thanks for the info. I don't need another radio, but may check the local RS and see if there are any for sale there....

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
I just picked one up as well. $59 plus tax. They also gave me a $10 off a $10 purchase coupon as well. This is my first SW receiver and love it so far. Can't beat the price!

KD5SPJ

I just picked one up as well. $59 plus tax. They also gave me a $10 off a $10 purchase coupon as well. This is my first SW receiver and love it so far. Can't beat the price!
Indeed, love it and for the money you can't go wrong. How cool is it going to be for camping!? GREAT!

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Indeed, love it and for the money you can't go wrong. How cool is it going to be for camping!? GREAT!

Yeah defiantly. I had just started listening to a tiny bit of SW when I got my Yaesu vx-6r and it got me interested in SWL and next thing I know I see this thread. Went by a RS on the way to a doctors appt and I figured I'd stop on the way back. I got the last one. Now I just need to set up an external antenna for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.