Grundig Satellit 700 Deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scannerfan15

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, I have some problems with a Satellit 700 that I have come into possession of recently.

While trying to use this radio I have not been able to hear much, the only thing I have been able to receive is the nearby FM transmitter to my house. I have tried transmitting on HF on multiple bands and have not been able to hear myself. I have found the service manual online but need some guidance. Has anybody heard of symptoms like these on this model? I have read online that this radio has a problem where the 10.7 IF transformer goes bad and causes the FM to go deaf. Is it possible this is the problem with my radio? If so what is wrong with the rest of the bands?

Thanks

Boombox

I don't know much about that radio but I think it has an external antenna switch, which would probably affect the whip antenna (which would affect both FM and SW reception).

Have you exercised the external antenna switch (if it has one)? Could have become oxidized from disuse before you bought it.

Is the AM / MW band working at all? If it is, chances are that that radio still works well.

Scannerfan15

Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about that radio but I think it has an external antenna switch, which would probably affect the whip antenna (which would affect both FM and SW reception).

Have you exercised the external antenna switch (if it has one)? Could have become oxidized from disuse before you bought it.

Is the AM / MW band working at all? If it is, chances are that that radio still works well.

I have tried moving the EXT/INT switch a few times and it has made no difference, I can tell that the switch does work though because when I use to the whip to receive the one station near me, I loose reception when I turn it to EXT, but I get it back when I touch the connector with my screwdriver.

As for the AM/MW bands, from what I can tell they are completely dead, that only reception I have been able to get with this radio is on the FM band and the only station I can receive has a transmitter around one mile from my house.

Boombox

I looked at the schematic. I'm no tech. But the SW and AM band signals travel through a cable that's inside the radio, one of those computer cables that probably goes from PC board to PC board.

There may be a small chance a connector got oxidized or loosened. If you take the radio apart I'd try wiggling / spraying cleaner on the connectors before digging deeper into the radio. Just by looking at the schematic, it seems to be the 'backbone' of the radio for everything but FM. It's a massive black line in the middle of the schematic with labelled connections going off of it.

As for FM, I have no idea why it wouldn't work. Maybe a zapped transistor?

Perhaps one of the guys here who are techs, or a lot better at this kind of thing than I am could take a look at the schematic and give you an idea of what may be wrong with your radio. It's easy to find using Google (forgot the link).

I wish I could be of more help, as it seems like a cool radio, but maybe someone else here can.

Good luck, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.