Guatemala frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know anything about radio use in Guatemala? From the limited info I have been able to find, it seems that 800 MHz trunking is very popular down there, especially Motorola and LTR trunking. However, apart from that, there isn't much info on the 'ol interweb.

Does anyone know what public safety uses there? I know there is a Motorola system that has at the very least, seven sites. Is it perhaps an areawide system? From some notes I've seen online, it seems to have a large number of active talkgroups.

Anyone familiar with this area?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have been to Guatemala several times. There are a few ham stations, but I have not found any published list for any radio service other than the Guatemala City Airport. I heard quite a bit of UHF traffic in Antigua, all in Spanish and no digital. My last trip was a year ago, but I have been there over a ten year span and not heard much change. I did have a letter of permission to operate from the Guatemala equivalent of our ARRL, and when leaving the country on one trip it saved me and my radios when returning to the US.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Yes, when I went, I brought radio equipment and got on the air some (with permission from their radio club of course), but I didn't bring any scanners with me, so I am curious what I missed.

I found a video for the PMT (Policia Municipal de Transito) on Motorola's website and there were videos of a number of officers all with Motorola HTs. From what I see online, those HTs are specifically made for MOTRBO CON+ systems, so I'd be willing to bet that is what is being used by the PMT. (This is the video... scroll down the page a little: MOTOTRBO - Motorola Solutions)

Also, I found Guatemala is listed as being a country with at least one P25 system, so it looks like Motorola is involved there.

If I go back, I'll probably bring a SDR dongle along and see what kind of trunking systems I can find, although my Spanish is very limited :)

Status
Not open for further replies.