Guilford County going P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

forehand

greensboro p25

with the new Greensboro p25 starting I can no longer hear them cause I cant figure out getting it on my BCD436HP. I updated my software and database. can anyone help?

REVREID

guilford p 25

i presume from your post that you have a home patrol-did you update the data base on the home patrol site-before updating your machine? if not-you may have uploaded the old system. i updated my h p 1 saturday night. i get thomasville,and higk point fire very good. i receive nothing from guilford,but,it has always been very limited from there for me. hope this helps

wb4ifo

Still receiving Nothing

Using the Butel ARC XT Pro on my bcd996xt and did a full import from the RadioReference database.
Receive nothing, even though I am in Guilford County.
Added the original Guilford system to my scanner (different name) and still receive nothing.
I do see what appears to be activity on the lcd display but no sound.

Scanner does work, have verified that.
And P25 works, can load NC Viper without any problem, it works perfectly.

Is there a trick to get this to work?

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Fred

calafdx

Premium Subscriber
This conversion from the old talkgroups to the new ones by dividing them by 16 works great! Thank you for posting this info as last week we went through all the talkgroups one-by-one and updated my BCD396XT and all the new ones work fine. Had to fine turn the decoding on the radio as before is sounded good at a setting of 11, now at 6 or 7 audio on the new P25 system is good.

calafdx

Premium Subscriber
Noticed that the new P25 system has new control and alternate frequencies. That is why we had an issue the first couple of days when the conversion took place. Was trying to get the system to work using the old frequencies. With the new frequencies programmed, and the radio set to follow the Control channel only, and new talkgroups entered, all of the P25 system works. It will take a bit of time to get used to the digital audio as opposed to the previous analog, but it works nicely now.

wb4ifo

How to Re-Program for new P25

Do you move over all of the original talk groups, simply divide their original talk group id number by 16?

Or?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The APCO25 system is known to be correct in the database.

There are some simulcast sites on the system that many scanners have issues with. The Uniden x36 scanners have an updated firmware file available to assist with this.

Remember, with x36 scanners, you must WRITE to the radio after doing the DB update, otherwise it will not actually update the master DB in the scanner.

The database is also accurately reflecting coverage of what the talkgroups are to be ranged for. In the past, some information was set with systemwide ranges when they should not have been. IE, a town on the east side of the county 50 miles away showing up on the west side of the county.

In a simulcast system, you may hear that systemwide, but in most non-simulcast areas you normally wouldn't. This also prevents unnessary scanning in most scanners.

For those with x36 scanners or software that makes use of ranges, you may want to try adjusting your range setting based on the location you have the scanner set for. You can also manually make a list having all the talkgroups you want to hear selected.

Either way, if a talkgroup is not affiliated to the tower you are scanning, then your not going to hear anything anyways.

Last edited:

wb4ifo

More information required

Using my Butel software, I 'import' the Guilford system. That includes everything.
I then 'clear' my scanner, deleting all systems.
I then load the new simulcast system (p25 now) into the scanner.

I then receive exactly nothing on my 996xt.

I tried using the old talkgroups from the original Greensboro PD and divided them by 16 before adding them into the current talkgroup id list for Greensboro. I did delete the duplicates (4 or 5 I believe).

Still receive nothing.

Not sure what else I need to do to get this to work.
Can you help?
Thanks,
Fred

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I do not use either product, so I’d only be guessing.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Using my Butel software, I 'import' the Guilford system. That includes everything.
I then 'clear' my scanner, deleting all systems.
I then load the new simulcast system (p25 now) into the scanner.

I then receive exactly nothing on my 996xt.

I tried using the old talkgroups from the original Greensboro PD and divided them by 16 before adding them into the current talkgroup id list for Greensboro. I did delete the duplicates (4 or 5 I believe).

Still receive nothing.

Not sure what else I need to do to get this to work.
Can you help?
Thanks,
Fred

I would start by thoroughly reading this wiki page:

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion

PJH

Premium Subscriber
There are some people that are submitting info to the database using the /16 method.

It should be known that not all talkgroups retained their orginal layout - so by making blanket submissions without verifying will result in screwed up database and thus scanners...

Only submit VERIFED information to the database.

Thanks

mikeydread

Thanks for starting this thread. I’ve been listening to Guilford and GSO for years and a few weeks ago everything went quite. I presume this upgrade is why. I have a Uniden Homepatrol 1 and I have updated the db and fw thru Sentinel but I am only receiving some fire and ems traffic. How do I program the HP1 manually for p25 system or does anyone know how to fix my scanner and get it back online?

chris8video

For those with issues receiving the Guilford P25 system on your 396XT or 325P2 I would recommend double checking your audio type settings (in the TGIDs in Freescan).

I had an issue at first and found that the setting should be "ALL". I had it set to digital only and wasn't receiving much, if anything.

Also, because it's a silmulcast system, I find that it receives a lot better from outside of the area, in my case, I'm in Davidson County and receive the system much better than when I'm in the center of Guilford County and the scanner is trying to decode the signal from any of the multiple towers. But I'm in Guilford County a lot so I'm working on tweaks to help.

As for the new TGID math, I converted all of my known TGs (most of which came from the RR database) and I haven't noticed any incorrect active groups. I have, however, found several new groups. I'll submit those at some point.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The link above explains the LSM issues for
Simulcast trunked systems/sites.

The new firmware for the Uniden x36 series scammers help, but isn’t the best fix all. The SDS series coming out has new hardware that apparently fixes this.

I believe the GRE/Whistlers hardware already supports these sites.

fish_head

Rumor control is Burlington Police and Greensboro Police are going or have gone encrypted. I guess they are embarrassed with all the shootings and their " no chase policy".

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Rumor control is Burlington Police and Greensboro Police are going or have gone encrypted. I guess they are embarrassed with all the shootings and their " no chase policy".

Greensboro PD is not going to be encrypted with the exception of several special teams and tactical talkgroups. Burlington has for some time had the ability to be encrypted on all talkgroups, I don’t know if they actually use it regularly.

Gregg251

Premium Subscriber
For Guilford County EMS, does anyone know talk groups for: EMS to Cone, EMS to Women's, and EMS to MedCenter High Point?
Thanks, Gregg, N2UUP

Status
Not open for further replies.