• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Guns? Who has guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zz0468, you are just ignoring questions posed to YOU and cherry picking stuff out of context. Again, anybody who reads this thread can see exactly what you are up to.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Why not look at the "real" argument here. Today's meanings
of words have a different meaning because a dictionary says
so or because some lawyers went into court and decided they
wanted the word to have a different meaning. Laws are about
court and court decisions. Court decisions are determined by
lawyers. And when it comes to lawyers, we all know that it isn't
always the lawyer who is right, that wins, but most often the more
clever lawyer.

Now, who determines that someone who is mentally ill loses his/her
constitutional rights? You're taking away somebody's "right" based on
an involuntary illness. Now let's look at criminals. Criminals often times
have MORE "rights" that those who are non-criminals. So who says what
rights a criminal has, and what rights are going to be taken away? This is
all determined by those lawyers who want to be famous and want their
names in every law library in the U.S. Right and wrong do NOT matter.
Remember, our "Rights" cannot be taken away from us. A privilege CAN.
ie. A drivers license is a privilege, NOT a right and therefore can be taken
away by the courts according to the "LAW". Gun ownership is not a privilege
it is a right. And this is why there is so much "hair splitting" on the subject.

As far as criminals are concerned, I think they forfeit ALL rights when they
decide to break the law and commit a "violent crime". But then you get
some clever lawyer who wants to be famous, arguing why is MY client
more of a criminal than the other guy who embezzled hundreds of thousands
from their employer? It's a viscous cycle that will probably never end.

Why not look at the "real" argument here...
You make some interesting points. We can argue semantics here, but it means nothing in the real world.

I disagree with the idea that rights can't be taken away. They very much can. That's exactly what you're doing when someone is incarcerated. They have, presumably temporarily, lost their right to freedom of movement. In a life sentence, it's not temporary. In a death sentence, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is revoked.

So, when rights as important as life can be taken (and I KNOW many of you here support the death penalty), why can't one's second amendment rights be permanently revoked?

Criminals often times have MORE "rights" that those who are non-criminals.
Say what?

If you're talking about the rights to due process as outlined in the 5th and 14th then all US citizens enjoy those rights. Or maybe you're thinking of cruel and unusual punishments as outlined in the 8th. Because you may never need to exercise any of these rights -- perhaps for lack of having committed a criminal offense -- doesn't automatically give the criminal more rights than anyone else.

Unless you have some other relevant examples, I'm calling crap on that statement. Every US citizen has the same rights, full stop.

Guess again. Once again, assuming facts not in evidence. Your batting average is dropping. I spent 33 years as a cop. What do you think?
Then I misread some of your comments. I'm perfectly comfortable making occasional mistakes. 90% of the guys on this thread are hostile to any sort of hint at gun control. When you rolled up and commented about popcorn, I made an assumption.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Then I misread some of your comments. I'm perfectly comfortable making occasional mistakes. 90% of the guys on this thread are hostile to any sort of hint at gun control. When you rolled up and commented about popcorn, I made an assumption.
My "popcorn" comment simply meant that I knew this was going to go on for a while and I wanted to be comfortable while I watched.

Get back to me when you want to continue the gun debate. :roll:
In case you have forgotten, I told you right off the top that I wasn't going to get into a "gun debate." with you and I haven't. ;)

Do you remember the whole CONversation discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.