Gwinnett DTRS Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex4659

Ive noticed that hall county SO is incrypted on the DTRS and so is gwinnett PD along with all the other city PD's.

the only difference is that hall county DTRS sheriffs office is in the database but Gwinnett DTRS has no police dept's listed in its DTRS

my question is why do the database admin put up hall co but not gwinnett, or the other way around?

just a little confused...

Thanks,
Alex

N8IAA

Ive noticed that hall county SO is incrypted on the DTRS and so is gwinnett PD along with all the other city PD's.the only difference is that hall county DTRS sheriffs office is in the database but Gwinnett DTRS has no police dept's listed in its DTRSmy question is why do the database admin put up hall co but not gwinnett, or the other way around?just a little confused...Thanks,Alex

Well, Alex. Back when Hall county was setting up its digital system, the radio techs from the motorola shop where unencrypted. I got to listen to the SO going around checking out tower sites and talking to each other. I was able to ascertain what the different TGID's were. At one point even the FD, SO, and city PD's were all encrypted on Hall. But Hall fire needed to be able to talk to Gwinnett and Forsyth. Back to unencrypted:) Now, with Gwinnett, it was different. They went encrypted even as they were testing the system. Thus, no TGID's for the SO, and city PD's. October, 2008 was when Gwinnett switched from analog to digital. And not a single peep has been heard since. Hope this explains why.
Larry

alex4659

Well, Alex. Back when Hall county was setting up its digital system, the radio techs from the motorola shop where unencrypted. I got to listen to the SO going around checking out tower sites and talking to each other. I was able to ascertain what the different TGID's were. At one point even the FD, SO, and city PD's were all encrypted on Hall. But Hall fire needed to be able to talk to Gwinnett and Forsyth. Back to unencrypted:) Now, with Gwinnett, it was different. They went encrypted even as they were testing the system. Thus, no TGID's for the SO, and city PD's. October, 2008 was when Gwinnett switched from analog to digital. And not a single peep has been heard since. Hope this explains why.
Larry

That explains it.

thanks,
Alex

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Its my understanding Gwinnett has the capability to unencrypt any talk group if needed for mutual aid purposes. I know some surrounding 911 centers have Gwinnett talk group patch capability and that Gwinnett's new system has several "disaster" talk groups ready to patch to neighboring systems.
During any large known events like a tornado or fire mutual aid it might not hurt to try and listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.